Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Q. Using the spreadsheet to set up a times table "15 X 15" etc.

Hi,

I thought it would be simple to set up a times table in my Excell
spreadsheet, but I'm baffled.

I want to have a column of values (1 to 100), and a row of the same
values.

I thought I could then click in the next colum over and enter this
formula: =A2*B1 hit enter, and then autofill the fields, by
dragging the corner of the cell over so many cells as I want.

But it doesn't work. It seems logical enough to expect the autofill
feature to work this way (excel 97), but it doesn't

Please help,
Thanks,
Jim
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

One way:

You need to use a mix of absolute and relative referncing:

=$A2 * B$1

then you can drag.

It's even easier to use the Data/Table function. Enter, say, =IV1*IV2
in A1. Select your 100x100 grid. Choose Data/Table and enter IV1 in the
rows input cell box and IV2 in the columns input cell box, then click
OK. XL will fill in the table for you.

In article ,
(Jim) wrote:

Hi,

I thought it would be simple to set up a times table in my Excell
spreadsheet, but I'm baffled.

I want to have a column of values (1 to 100), and a row of the same
values.

I thought I could then click in the next colum over and enter this
formula: =A2*B1 hit enter, and then autofill the fields, by
dragging the corner of the cell over so many cells as I want.

But it doesn't work. It seems logical enough to expect the autofill
feature to work this way (excel 97), but it doesn't

Please help,
Thanks,
Jim

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

On Tue, 02 Mar 2004 16:38:50 -0700, JE McGimpsey
wrote:

One way:

You need to use a mix of absolute and relative referncing:

=$A2 * B$1

then you can drag.

It's even easier to use the Data/Table function. Enter, say, =IV1*IV2
in A1. Select your 100x100 grid. Choose Data/Table and enter IV1 in the
rows input cell box and IV2 in the columns input cell box, then click
OK. XL will fill in the table for you.

Hi,

The first way worked just fine, and gave me just what I wanted,

The second way though didn't work for me, and I wonder if you can
re-explain the 2nd method.

Much appreciated
Jim

In article ,
(Jim) wrote:

Hi,

I thought it would be simple to set up a times table in my Excell
spreadsheet, but I'm baffled.

I want to have a column of values (1 to 100), and a row of the same
values.

I thought I could then click in the next colum over and enter this
formula: =A2*B1 hit enter, and then autofill the fields, by
dragging the corner of the cell over so many cells as I want.

But it doesn't work. It seems logical enough to expect the autofill
feature to work this way (excel 97), but it doesn't

Please help,
Thanks,
Jim

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Once mo

Say I want a 10 x 10 multiplication table.

As you'd done, put 1-10 in A2:A11 and B1:K1

In A1, enter =L1*L2. Pick two blank cells that will *not* be in the
table

Select A1:K11

Choose Data/Table

In the dialog that opens, enter L1 in the row input cell, and L2 in the
Column input cell (e.g., the same cells you used in A1).

XL will fill in the products.

See "Create a two-variable data table" in XL Help for more.