Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Allow user to edit Ranges under "Protection"

I setup a form for user to fill in various survey
information. There are labels, input fields, and dropdown
boxes everywhere. The setup of the form is complete with
a total of 18 groups of user input fields (ranges from a
single cell to a group of cells) and they were set
as "Allow user to edit ranges" under "Protection". I then
enable the protection. I have not problem entering data
into the first 8 desiganted user input fields. However, I
cannot do enter beyond the first 8 designated fields.

Is there any limitation on how my groups of cells that I
can setup to "Allow user to edit ranges" ?

If there is a limitation, what would you suggest to solve
this problem ?

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Regards
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Wellie
You don't mention anything about allowing different people access (to
enter data) to different fields. In other words, person A is allowed to
enter data in only ranges 1 and 2 and person B only in ranges 3 and 4. Is
it your intention to deny access to various ranges by person?
I get from what you say that you simply have a form you want people to
fill out and you don't want them to have access to any of the cells except
those specifically designed to be filled in and that all people have access
to the same cells. Is that correct?
If the latter is correct, you should just unlock the cells you want
filled in and then Protect the sheet.
The following is a step-by-step procedure for doing this.
1. Unprotect the sheet.
2. Undo (remove) everything you have done with "Allow user to edit
ranges" under "Protection"
3. You probably have some access cells unlocked and some locked as a
result of what you have been doing, so you need to get back to all cells are
locked. Select all the cells in your form. All of them. Both access and
non-access cells. Then do Format - Cells - Protection tab and put a check
mark in the Locked box. If the box has a gray check mark, click on the box
until you have a black checkmark. Click OK.
4. Select the first access cell.
5. Hold down the Ctrl key of your keyboard and select all the other
access cells. Release the Ctrl key.
6. Do Format - Cells - Protection tab and remove the checkmark in the
Locked box.
7. Protect the sheet.
8. You now can enter data in only the access cells.
Is this what you want? HTH Otto