Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Calculating the minutes between two times

Hello all,

A time card application:
If I enter a start time in a cell and a ending time in another cell,
how to I calculate the minutes in-between?

For example, a cell contains 6:00 AM and another cell contains
2:30PM. I know that is 8 hours worked (with half hour lunch). How
can I have Excel calculate 8.5 hours or 510 minutes?

Thanks kindly.

Dave Kuhn
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi
try the following:
1. Hours in decimals: (B1-A1)*24
2. Minutes: (B1-A1)*24*60

--
Regards
Frank Kabel

David Kuhn wrote:
Hello all,

A time card application:
If I enter a start time in a cell and a ending time in another cell,
how to I calculate the minutes in-between?

For example, a cell contains 6:00 AM and another cell contains
2:30PM. I know that is 8 hours worked (with half hour lunch). How
can I have Excel calculate 8.5 hours or 510 minutes?

Thanks kindly.

Dave Kuhn

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

David,

Either,

if you want to maintain the answer as time, format the cell as [mm]

if you want a decimal number of minutes, use the formula =(D1-C1)*24*60

--

HTH

Bob Phillips

"David Kuhn" wrote in message
om...
Hello all,

A time card application:
If I enter a start time in a cell and a ending time in another cell,
how to I calculate the minutes in-between?

For example, a cell contains 6:00 AM and another cell contains
2:30PM. I know that is 8 hours worked (with half hour lunch). How
can I have Excel calculate 8.5 hours or 510 minutes?

Thanks kindly.

Dave Kuhn

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

If the earlier time is in A1 and the later time in B1, use
=HOUR(B1-A1)*60+MINUTE(B1-A1).

Note that if the time spans midnight, you need to specify date+time.
Alternatively, and relying on some implicit data conversions, it is
possible to cater to one midnight crossing with the formula =((B1-A1)+
(B1<A1))*24*60

Tushar Mehta
www.tushar-mehta.com
Custom MS Office productivity solutions