Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Problem incrementing rows

This code almost does what I need, but I'm stuck.
When I run this each cell that matches increments by two. I want to
keep the same value for the whole row. Then drop a row and increment by
two on the next row.

Example:
(Do not want)
Pack112 Pack114 Pack116
(Do want)
Pack112 Pack112 Pack112
Pack114 Pack114 Pack114

i = 112
For Each CELL In Range("A1:DD267")
If CELL.Value = "PACK" Then
i = i + 2

CELL.Value = "PACK" & CStr(i)

If i 140 Then i = 0

End If
Next CELL

Thanks

---

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi
a little bit kludgy but give it a try

Sub foo()
Dim i
Dim row_count
Dim cell
Dim rng

i = 112
Set rng = Range("A1:DD267")
row_count = rng.Row
For Each cell In Range("A1:DD267")
If row_count < cell.Row Then
row_count = cell.Row
i = i + 2
End If
If cell.Value = "PACK" Then
cell.Value = "PACK" & CStr(i)
End If
If i 140 Then
i = 0
End If
Next cell

Regards
Frank Kabel
Frankfurt, Germany

This code almost does what I need, but I'm stuck.
When I run this each cell that matches increments by two. I want to
keep the same value for the whole row. Then drop a row and increment
by two on the next row.

Example:
(Do not want)
Pack112 Pack114 Pack116
(Do want)
Pack112 Pack112 Pack112
Pack114 Pack114 Pack114

i = 112
For Each CELL In Range("A1:DD267")
If CELL.Value = "PACK" Then
i = i + 2

CELL.Value = "PACK" & CStr(i)

If i 140 Then i = 0

End If
Next CELL

Thanks
confused:

---

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Confused,

How about this

i = 112
For Each row In Rows("1:267")
For Each cell In row.Columns("A:D")
If cell.Value = "PACK" Then
cell.Value = "PACK" & CStr(i)
End If
Next cell
i = i + 2
If i 140 Then i = 0
Next row

--

HTH

Bob Phillips

"hotherps " wrote in message
This code almost does what I need, but I'm stuck.
When I run this each cell that matches increments by two. I want to
keep the same value for the whole row. Then drop a row and increment by
two on the next row.

Example:
(Do not want)
Pack112 Pack114 Pack116
(Do want)
Pack112 Pack112 Pack112
Pack114 Pack114 Pack114

i = 112
For Each CELL In Range("A1:DD267")
If CELL.Value = "PACK" Then
i = i + 2

CELL.Value = "PACK" & CStr(i)

If i 140 Then i = 0

End If
Next CELL

Thanks

---

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thanks for the help Frank, I'm almost there. It is incrementing properl
but it is going backwards? It begins counting at 136
and if there are any rows without values it is incrementing the rows a
if the values were there

PACK112 PACK112 PACK112 PACK112 PACK112 PACK112
PACK114 PACK114 PACK114 PACK114 PACK114 PACK114
PACK116 PACK116 PACK116 PACK116 PACK116
PACK118 PACK118 PACK118 PACK118
empty row
empty row
empty row
PACK128 PACK128 PACK128 PACK128 PACK128
PACK130 PACK130 PACK130 PACK130

Is there a way to make it only count on rows that have data

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

i = 112
For Each row In Rows("1:267")
cn t = 0
For Each cell In row.Columns("A:D")
If cell.Value = "PACK" Then
cell.Value = "PACK" & CStr(i)
cnt = cnt 1
End If
Next cell
If cnt 0 Then
i = i + 2
If i 140 Then i = 0
End If
Next row

--

HTH

Bob Phillips

"hotherps " wrote in message
Thanks for the help Frank, I'm almost there. It is incrementing properly
but it is going backwards? It begins counting at 136
and if there are any rows without values it is incrementing the rows as
if the values were there

PACK112 PACK112 PACK112 PACK112 PACK112 PACK112
PACK114 PACK114 PACK114 PACK114 PACK114 PACK114
PACK116 PACK116 PACK116 PACK116 PACK116
PACK118 PACK118 PACK118 PACK118
empty row
empty row
empty row
PACK128 PACK128 PACK128 PACK128 PACK128
PACK130 PACK130 PACK130 PACK130

Is there a way to make it only count on rows that have data?

---

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi
in my test it started with 112?. Does your data start in row 1 or a
different one?
For the second part to skip empty rows I adapted Bob's solutions (as it
was IMHO the better one):

Sub foo3()
Dim i
Dim row As Range
Dim cell As Range
Dim row_entry As Boolean
row_entry = False
i = 112
For Each row In Rows("1:267")
For Each cell In row.Columns("A:D")
If cell.Value = "PACK" Then
cell.Value = "PACK" & CStr(i)
If Not row_entry Then row_entry = True
End If
Next cell
If row_entry Then
i = i + 2
If i 140 Then i = 0
row_entry = False
End If
Next row

Regards
Frank Kabel
Frankfurt, Germany

Thanks for the help Frank, I'm almost there. It is incrementing
properly but it is going backwards? It begins counting at 136
and if there are any rows without values it is incrementing the rows
as if the values were there

PACK112 PACK112 PACK112 PACK112 PACK112 PACK112
PACK114 PACK114 PACK114 PACK114 PACK114 PACK114
PACK116 PACK116 PACK116 PACK116 PACK116
PACK118 PACK118 PACK118 PACK118
empty row
empty row
empty row
PACK128 PACK128 PACK128 PACK128 PACK128
PACK130 PACK130 PACK130 PACK130

Is there a way to make it only count on rows that have data?

---

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

That did it Bob, thanks for your help. :

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

"Frank Kabel" wrote in message

For the second part to skip empty rows I adapted Bob's solutions (as it
was IMHO the better one):

and mine!<vbg

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

For the second part to skip empty rows I adapted Bob's solutions (as
it was IMHO the better one):

and mine!<vbg

Bowing in adminration <VVBG

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thanks Bob and Frank! it is working like it should, but I am going to
post a new question and I would like your feedback if possible. Thanks
again

---