Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default fill down formula incrementing by every 12 rows

Hi - I want to drag/fill down a formula in 12 rows (eg A1 to A12)as follows
=Sheet1A2
=Sheet1A2
=Sheet1A2
=Sheet1A2
=Sheet1A3
=Sheet1A3
=Sheet1A3
=Sheet1A3
I want it to increment by 1. eg next 12 rows would =Sheet1A4 etc
Selecting the entire range does not work, it just keeps returning the same
value eg Sheet1A2
Thanks
Craig
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

So, you want to repeat the reference 4 times then increment by 1?

Try this:

=INDEX(Sheet1!A$2:A$65536,CEILING(ROWS($1:1)/4,1))

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"westy" wrote in message
Hi - I want to drag/fill down a formula in 12 rows (eg A1 to A12)as
follows
=Sheet1A2
=Sheet1A2
=Sheet1A2
=Sheet1A2
=Sheet1A3
=Sheet1A3
=Sheet1A3
=Sheet1A3
I want it to increment by 1. eg next 12 rows would =Sheet1A4 etc
Selecting the entire range does not work, it just keeps returning the same
value eg Sheet1A2
Thanks
Craig

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Max Max is offline

Another way

In say, Sheet2's B2, copied down as far as required:
=OFFSET(Sheet1!$A$2,INT((ROWS($1:1)-1)/4),)
will "repeat the reference 4 times then increment by 1"

The starting reference is:
=Sheet1A2
--
Max