Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Add-In communication with outside Application

I have the following requirements:
Build a stand-alone application (I'm using C#) that asks the user to
click in a cell in an Excel spreadsheet, and then displays the address
of that cell in the C# application. It seems simple enough, but the
problem I'm encountering is as follows:
In order for the user to select the cell from Excel, they must first
click once on the Excel window to give it focus and then their second
click is what changes the cell location. The transition from the
outside C# application to the user's cell of choice needs to be one
click, not two. This functionality exists if the display form is
written as an Excel Add-in, as in that case, Excel already is the
focused application and therefore no second clic is needed. I'm having
difficulty trying to come up with a hybrid approach such that I have an
add-in inside Excel to handle the single clicking duties, but it must be
able to pass the information back to an external C# application.
Can anyone help? (I'm posting to the C# group also as this sort of falls
between the groups)
thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Matthew,

Thanks for posting in the community!

We're currently researching this issue for you. We'll post back for you as
soon as possible.

Thank you for using Microsoft NewsGroup!

Wei-Dong Xu
Microsoft Product Support Services

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Matthew,

Thanks for posting in the community.

I have posted a reply to your another post titiled "C# Aplpication talking
to Excel Add-In"in the newsgroup below.

Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.languages.csharp

You may go to have a check, if you have any concern on this issue, please
post there.

Best regards,

Peter Huang
Microsoft Online Partner Support

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

such that I have an add-in inside Excel to handle the single
clicking duties, but it must be able to pass the information
back to an external C# application.

Have the add-in write a file containing the cell address
to a given directory. Meanwhile, your C# app is watching that
directory waiting for such a file to appear.

Regards,
Vic Eldridge