Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Mac Serial Port Communication

Hi guys

I have a client for whom I've written an Excel application that
interfaces via the serial port to their external device. The
application uses a freeware OCX control in Windows to read and write
data to/from the serial port however they're now considering porting
the application to the Mac and my nice OCX won't work there
unfortunately. The application communicates with the device in two
modes: live streaming data (where a set of information is received
every 10 seconds), and file download (where the device stores up to
20,000 records in its memory and is then downloaded to Excel via the
serial port).

The requirements are pretty simple in relation to the serial
communication component in that it's just very straightforward
communications with the device (ie open COM1 "57600,n,8,1", send some
ASCII commands, read the ASCII text returned, close COM1).

I currently have a number of functions that perform the serial
communications in VBA and do all these functions for me so basically,
I just need to replace the internals of these with something that will
work on a Mac. I understand this can be achieved via OS function
calls but don't know how to work out what these are or where to start
looking.

Does anyone know how to do this via VBA on a Mac?

Thanks!
Jeff Robson
Mailbarrow Excel Consultants
http://www.mailbarrow.com