Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Remove value after decimal point

I have a workbook with six worksheets. The worksheets contain client information, including a column called Empl_ID. This is a unique field that allows us to select information from each worksheet about specific employees.

However, the six sheets which were sent to us have varying cell formats. One sheet will show a client Empl_ID as being 11024 and another will show the client Empl_ID as being 11024.2385456

Needless to say, this produces incorrect information. Can someone give me a formula to remove the decimal point and any numbers that were to the right of the decimal point. I will have to run this formula 6 times - once in each worksheet

The numbers must be completey removed so the value of the cell is the number without any decimal value. This is the only way I will be able to merge data from the six worksheets for specific clients without getting incorrect data

Thanks in advanc

Malcolm
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Malcolm
try TRUNC. e.g. TRUNC(123.456) will return 123

HTH
Frank

Malcolm wrote:
Hi

I have a workbook with six worksheets. The worksheets contain client
information, including a column called Empl_ID. This is a unique
field that allows us to select information from each worksheet about
specific employees.

However, the six sheets which were sent to us have varying cell
formats. One sheet will show a client Empl_ID as being 11024 and
another will show the client Empl_ID as being 11024.23854562

Needless to say, this produces incorrect information. Can someone
give me a formula to remove the decimal point and any numbers that
were to the right of the decimal point. I will have to run this
formula 6 times - once in each worksheet.

The numbers must be completey removed so the value of the cell is the
number without any decimal value. This is the only way I will be
able to merge data from the six worksheets for specific clients
without getting incorrect data.

Thanks in advance

Malcolm

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Malcolm,

A quick & dirty way would be to insert a blank column to the right of the
offending once, then use Data|Text to Columns|Delimited and chose 'other'
with the decimal point as the delimiter. This will put the decimal values in
the right-hand column, which can then be deleted. Bear in mind though, that
your values will be rounded down to the nearest whole number, rather than
being rounded to the nearest whole number.

Cheers

"Malcolm" wrote in message
Hi

[...]

---