Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
ed ed is offline

Default Recommendations (macro)??

I am building a database in excel that is rather large. I
am not proficient with the use of macros and I can only
assume this would help create what I am looking for. Any
recommendations on a how to learn (books, tutorials, etc.)
other than spending alot of money on a class would be
appreciated.

Thanks.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

A database in Excel is a glorified list. You don't really need an extensive
knowledge of macros to enter a list in an Excel worksheet. But if you want
to add automated functionality to it, then of course, you need macros.
Check out your local book store. John Walkenbach's books ("Power
Programming...") are widely available and highly regarded.

--
Jim Rech
Excel MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Depending on your data, and if it is truly in database format, then take a look
at Data / Filter / Autofilter (And Advanced Filter), and also take a look at
Pivot Tables, both of which will allow you to do some great analysis. Debra
Dalgleish has some great intros for both at the following links (With not a hint
of a macro in sight):-

http://www.contextures.com/xlautofilter01.html

http://www.contextures.com/xladvfilter01.html

http://www.geocities.com/jonpeltier/...pivotstart.htm

As far as books go, if you are learning Excel, then maybe John Walkenbach's
Excel Bible will do you, as this covers normal Excel functions as well as Excel
Macros (VBA). 2000 or 2003 come with a CD. Again, Debra Dalgleish has a list
on her site :-)

http://www.contextures.com/xlbooks.html

--
Regards
Sys Spec - Win XP Pro / XL 00/02/03

"Ed" wrote in message
I am building a database in excel that is rather large. I
am not proficient with the use of macros and I can only
assume this would help create what I am looking for. Any
recommendations on a how to learn (books, tutorials, etc.)
other than spending alot of money on a class would be
appreciated.

Thanks.

---

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

But specifically for macros, I would have gone with Jim's choice also.

--
Regards
Sys Spec - Win XP Pro / XL 00/02/03

"Ed" wrote in message
I am building a database in excel that is rather large. I
am not proficient with the use of macros and I can only
assume this would help create what I am looking for. Any
recommendations on a how to learn (books, tutorials, etc.)
other than spending alot of money on a class would be
appreciated.

Thanks.

---

---

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
ed ed is offline

Thanks for the suggestions.

But specifically for macros, I would have gone with Jim's

choice also.

--
Regards
Ken....................... Microsoft MVP -

Excel
Sys Spec - Win XP Pro / XL 00/02/03

------------------

------------------

"Ken Wright" wrote in

message

http://www.geocities.com/jonpeltier/...ots/pivotstart
..htm

As far as books go, if you are learning Excel, then

maybe John Walkenbach's
Excel Bible will do you, as this covers normal Excel

functions as well as
Excel
Macros (VBA). 2000 or 2003 come with a CD. Again,

Debra Dalgleish has a list
on her site :-)

http://www.contextures.com/xlbooks.html

--
Regards
Ken....................... Microsoft MVP -

Excel
Sys Spec - Win XP Pro / XL 00/02/03

--------------------

--------------------

"Ed" wrote in

message
I am building a database in excel that is rather

large. I
am not proficient with the use of macros and I can

only
assume this would help create what I am looking for.

Any
recommendations on a how to learn (books, tutorials,

etc.)
other than spending alot of money on a class would be
appreciated.

Thanks.

---
Checked by AVG anti-virus system

(http://www.grisoft.com).

27/01/2004

---

27/01/2004

.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
ed ed is offline

The file is actually not in database format and I am
trying to automate several things in the workbook which
will be used by others. Thanks for the suggestions.