Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Need help with cell protection...

I would like to protect a range of cells (A2:D24) with a password for a
group of users that would make changes to cells in this range. Then on
the same sheet, also protect a range of cells (E2:E24) from everyone but
me. Is this possible?

Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Mark,

Please don't multipost to multiple groups.

The regulars here regularly read all the major Excel newsgroups.

The answer to your question is yes and no.
You can only have one password for a particular sheet.
The basics for password protecting cells is to select all
the cells and then choose Format/Cells/Protection
and then unlock all the cells. Then select the cells that you
want protected and unlock them.
Lastly, protect the sheet. Tools/Protection/Protect Sheet.

Now I replied in .programming because you can set these
protections programmatically via VBA and *IF* the users
are using different PC's to access the file (or unique UserNames),
then you could set the protection (and what cells are protected)
based on these.

Is that a possibility for your situation?

John

"Mark F." wrote in message
I would like to protect a range of cells (A2:D24) with a password for a
group of users that would make changes to cells in this range. Then on
the same sheet, also protect a range of cells (E2:E24) from everyone but
me. Is this possible?

Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Mark

What version of Excel?

Excel 2002 alows for passworded permissions to ranges under ToolsProtection
"Allow users to edit ranges"

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On Sat, 24 Jan 2004 19:41:53 GMT, "Mark F." wrote:

I would like to protect a range of cells (A2:D24) with a password for a
group of users that would make changes to cells in this range. Then on
the same sheet, also protect a range of cells (E2:E24) from everyone but
me. Is this possible?

Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Mark

What version of Excel?

Office XP (WinXP Pro OS).

Excel 2002 allows for passworded permissions to ranges under

ToolsProtection
"Allow users to edit ranges"

I tried that using the explanation on the MSDN site, but it didn't work.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On Sat, 24 Jan 2004 19:41:53 GMT, "Mark F." wrote:

I would like to protect a range of cells (A2:D24) with a password for

group of users that would make changes to cells in this range. Then

on
the same sheet, also protect a range of cells (E2:E24) from everyone

but
me. Is this possible?

Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Mark,

I tried that using the explanation on the MSDN site, but it didn't work.

Okay. And now you've told us that you have Excel XP.
It's a start.
I don't have XP, so I can't help you with that part.

Doing what you want in VBA is possible *IF* the people are accessing
the file with different UserNames (or even different PC's).
If the UserNames are identical (as is the PC they're accessing the file
with),
another option would be to password protect the workbook and have them
open it via an ID and password.
Once you can identify a unique user, you can create all sorts of protection
scenarios (none of which can't be bypassed by an experienced user.

John

"Mark F." wrote in message

Mark

What version of Excel?

Office XP (WinXP Pro OS).

Excel 2002 allows for passworded permissions to ranges under

ToolsProtection
"Allow users to edit ranges"

I tried that using the explanation on the MSDN site, but it didn't work.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On Sat, 24 Jan 2004 19:41:53 GMT, "Mark F." wrote:

I would like to protect a range of cells (A2:D24) with a password for

group of users that would make changes to cells in this range. Then

on
the same sheet, also protect a range of cells (E2:E24) from everyone

but
me. Is this possible?

Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Mark!

What you want to do can probably be achieved with a moderate degree of
difficulty.

But why not make it easier. Put the different ranges on different
sheets and protect those sheets with different passwords. If there are
reasons why you want the data to be together, then have a third sheet
that brings in the data from the separate sheets. All that and no
macros needed.

But worksheet protection is easily circumvented so this, like any
other solution, is not foolproof.

--
Regards
Norman Harker MVP (Excel)

available free to good homes.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

"Norman Harker" wrote in message
Hi Mark!

What you want to do can probably be achieved with a moderate degree of
difficulty.

But why not make it easier. Put the different ranges on different
sheets and protect those sheets with different passwords. If there are
reasons why you want the data to be together, then have a third sheet
that brings in the data from the separate sheets. All that and no
macros needed.

But worksheet protection is easily circumvented so this, like any
other solution, is not foolproof.

--
Regards
Norman Harker MVP (Excel)
Sydney, Australia

available free to good homes.

Thanks for the RE Norman! I worked it out using the "Allow users to edit
ranges" option. One password for each of the two user ranges and one for
the master. Works fine now. Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Mark

Two days ago when I suggested that, you posted "I tried that using the
explanation on the MSDN site, but it didn't work."

Guess you must have done a little more scratching, eh?

"Viable" solution was available, it seems.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP