Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
John Wilson John Wilson is offline

Default Need help with cell protection...

Mark,

I tried that using the explanation on the MSDN site, but it didn't work.

Okay. And now you've told us that you have Excel XP.
It's a start.
I don't have XP, so I can't help you with that part.

Doing what you want in VBA is possible *IF* the people are accessing
the file with different UserNames (or even different PC's).
If the UserNames are identical (as is the PC they're accessing the file
with),
another option would be to password protect the workbook and have them
open it via an ID and password.
Once you can identify a unique user, you can create all sorts of protection
scenarios (none of which can't be bypassed by an experienced user.

John

"Mark F." wrote in message

Mark

What version of Excel?

Office XP (WinXP Pro OS).

Excel 2002 allows for passworded permissions to ranges under

ToolsProtection
"Allow users to edit ranges"

I tried that using the explanation on the MSDN site, but it didn't work.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On Sat, 24 Jan 2004 19:41:53 GMT, "Mark F." wrote:

I would like to protect a range of cells (A2:D24) with a password for

group of users that would make changes to cells in this range. Then

on
the same sheet, also protect a range of cells (E2:E24) from everyone

but
me. Is this possible?

Thanks.