Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default slow save time

Hello.

I have two Excel workbooks, both around 1 MB in size. One contain
only data (no formulas, forms, macros, etc.), and the other contain
very little data but many forms and macros. The latter takes very lon
to save (around 15 sec) but the former saves in the blink of an eye.

This tells me that my slow save time is not attributed to large dat
(or other things like disk defragging, too many temp files, etc.)
instead it's due to the many macros/modules and VBA code that I have.

My question: Is there any way to write a VBA module that saves jus
the data and not all of the modules/forms? I searched the FAQ for hel
and couldn't find anything. I'm new to this board so please be kind!

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Well, depending on how determined you are to changing this (I mean 1
seconds does get annoying, but whether it's worth maintaining what I'
about to suggest is up to you.) It is perfectly possible to have al
your forms and macros in one workbook that does not change, and th
rest of the content in another that does. What you could do is hav
the smaller workbook open the larger one automatically and call al
it’s forms and macros. Now the things that you should consider ar
these:
1 – You’ll need to put the larger file (with the macros and forms) in
relatively permanent location and if and when it gets moved you’ll nee
to update the other workbook so it knows where to find it.
2 – The code you’re using will have to be changed to make SURE they ru
with the particular workbook you want it to on top of the fact that yo
need to declare those functions as “Public” so your smaller workboo
has access to them.
3 – You’ll need to take into account whether anyone else will be makin
use of this workbook in this way and whether you or they will b
accessing it from a different computer. You’ll need to intentionall
make it flexible enough to deal with that type of situation.

So while I don’t know how to save only certain parts of a workbook (
don’t think it can be done) this would accomplish the same result i
you’re willing to spend enough time and energy to make it work. - Piku