Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default read Access table from VBA

I have an Access database c:\test\val.mdb
In this database I have a table "values". Values has the
fields "label1" and "date1". date1 is unique.

Now from Excel VBA I want to read label1 from this table
with date1 as key.

Can someone tell me how this is done?

Please be specific (an example would be best) - also
indicate which references I need to include in VBA to use
Access functionality

Ron
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Ron,

You can use ADO

Private Sub CommandButton1_Click()

Set objConnection = CreateObject("ADODB.Connection") '
Set objrs = CreateObject("ADODB.Recordset")
objConnection.Provider = "Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0"

strSQL = "SELECT label1, date1 "
strSQL = strSQL & "FROM values "

objConnection.Open
objrs.Open strSQL, objConnection

x = 1
Do While Not objrs.EOF
Range("A" & x) = objrs("label1")
Range("B" & x) = objrs("date1")
x = x + 1
Loop

End Sub

Mike Tomasura

"Ron" wrote in message
I have an Access database c:\test\val.mdb
In this database I have a table "values". Values has the
fields "label1" and "date1". date1 is unique.

Now from Excel VBA I want to read label1 from this table
with date1 as key.

Can someone tell me how this is done?

Please be specific (an example would be best) - also
indicate which references I need to include in VBA to use
Access functionality

Ron

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Mike, Thank You - I'll check it tomorrow!

I thought it would be something with

CreateObject("Access.application")

and linking to some Access DLL library to get the Access
object model ... but if your way works - it is good enough
for me!

Ron

[...]

.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Mike,

just tried it.... where do I make the link to my database
c:\test\val.mdb ?

Now the Objconnection.open fails - probably because I
don't tell where to open.

Ron

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

This might be a help for getting data to and from Excel and Access: It
includes examples of using variables in SQL queries.
http://www.bygsoftware.com/examples/sql.html

Or you can get there from the "Excel with Access Databases" section on page:
http://www.bygsoftware.com/examples/examples.htm

It demonstrates how to use SQL in Excel's VBA to:

* create a database,
* create a table and add data to it,
* select data from a table,
* delete a table,
* delete a database.

DAO and ADO files available.

You can also download the demonstration file called "excelsql.zip".

The code is open and commented.
--

Regards
Andy Wiggins

"Ron" wrote in message
I have an Access database c:\test\val.mdb
In this database I have a table "values". Values has the
fields "label1" and "date1". date1 is unique.

Now from Excel VBA I want to read label1 from this table
with date1 as key.

Can someone tell me how this is done?

Please be specific (an example would be best) - also
indicate which references I need to include in VBA to use
Access functionality

Ron

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Ron,

use Data Source=c:\test\val.mdb

You might have a problem using "values" in the SQL statement. You might want
to rename it to tblValues

Private Sub CommandButton1_Click()

Set objconnection = CreateObject("ADODB.Connection") '
Set objrs = CreateObject("ADODB.Recordset")
connectString = _
"Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0; Data Source=c:\test\val.mdb"

strSQL = "select label1, date1 "
strSQL = strSQL & "from tblValues"

objconnection.Open connectString
objrs.Open strSQL, objconnection