Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Running external programs

A friend is asking "How do I run an external .exe or .cmd file from
Excel?" Is that a meaningful question without more?

TIA,
Alan Beban

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

That seems like a reasonable question.

I think I'd respond with:
Add a hyperlink that points at the .exe and click the hyperlink.
or use the Shell command from VBA (if you can't control it yourself--like word.)

I'd guess that my responses might get more questions, though.

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

VBA's shell command will continue execution immediately after the executable
has launched.
Do a Google Search for: VBA ShellWait to get VBA to wait for the process to
terminate.