-   -   Running external programs (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-programming/285898-running-external-programs.html)

Alan Beban[_4_]

Running external programs

A friend is asking "How do I run an external .exe or .cmd file from
Excel?" Is that a meaningful question without more?

TIA,
Alan Beban

Dave Peterson[_3_]

Running external programs

That seems like a reasonable question.

I think I'd respond with:
Add a hyperlink that points at the .exe and click the hyperlink.
or use the Shell command from VBA (if you can't control it yourself--like word.)

I'd guess that my responses might get more questions, though.

--

Dave Peterson

Rob van Gelder[_2_]

Running external programs

VBA's shell command will continue execution immediately after the executable
has launched.
Do a Google Search for: VBA ShellWait to get VBA to wait for the process to
terminate.

"Alan Beban" wrote in message
A friend is asking "How do I run an external .exe or .cmd file from
Excel?" Is that a meaningful question without more?

TIA,
Alan Beban

Alan Beban[_4_]

Running external programs

Thanks to Rob van Gelder and Dave Peterson.

Alan Beban

"Alan Beban" wrote in message

A friend is asking "How do I run an external .exe or .cmd file from
Excel?" Is that a meaningful question without more?

TIA,
Alan Beban

Dave Peterson[_3_]

Running external programs

Googling for ShellAndWait finds a few more than ShellWait. (I didn't compare
the results, though--they could be the same routine.