Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Newbie help please

I have downloaded, unzipped, and run, the GetInfo file from Chip Pearson's
page at:-

http://www.cpearson.com/excel/download.htm

The explanation on the above page states:-

"The GetInfo function, written in VBA, allows you to retrieve nearly any
property of any object in the Excel object model directly from a worksheet
cell. Using this one function, you can eliminate dozens of custom UDFs to
get application and object properties."

I am a newbie struggling to upskill somewhat in Excel.
I am using Excel 2002.

Could someone please give me a brief comment on just exactly how I could use
the above in practice.
I have been doing a lot of background research and printed gazillions of
pages of help info, and think that I can flesh out the details once I have a
pointer in the right direction.

TIA
Brian Tozer

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Brian,

Chip gives you a workbook that gives you all of the information that you
ask. What more do you need?

--

HTH

Bob Phillips

"Brian Tozer" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

As I wrote, I have run the file.
I have examined the result.
I think you may find it hard to think like a newbie.

Presumably it is intended to be used in conjunction with an existing
workbook.
How exactly?

Brian Tozer

Bob Phillips wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Brian

just select one of the cells in column B and then cursor down. The formulae
are in the cells. These are the examples of using the function. I guess
the more VBA you know, the further you can take this. There is more
explanation in the VBA code itself.

So, if for some reason you want to create a formula that is dependent on the
colour of the text in a cell, you could test it using Chip's GetInfo
function.

For example:

=IF(getinfo(A1,"font.bold"),"text is bold","text is NOT bold")

Beware though that the value does not seem to be recalculated automatically
even though "Application.Volatile True" is included.

Regards

Trevor

Bob Phillips wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Brian

You can export the modGetInfo module from Chip's workbook then import it to
your Personal.xls workbook or into a blank workbook which you could then Save
AsFile TypeExcel Add-in(*.xla)

The GetInfo Function would then be available for any/all open workbooks.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP