Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default three types of comboboxes.

not sure this belongs in 'programming', but..

I'm interested in using a combobox on a spreadsheet to
easily allow selection of a long list of data items, which
may be stored on a different sheet.

there seem to be three combo boxes in Excel, which all act
a little differently... the one from the Forms toolbar,
the one from the Controls Toolbox toolbar, and the one in
the VB forms.

At least here, the one from the Forms toolbar, allows me
to define the source range (on the 'Control' tab of
the 'Format Control' dialog box), but it doesn't actually
work like a CombBox, it works like a list box (won't allow
freeform input).

The one from the VB form allows me to define the row
source, and allows freeform input... good, but I want it
in the worksheet itself.

The combobox from the 'Controls Toolbox' toolbar allows
freeform input, but there is no 'Control' tab visible on
the 'Format Control' dialog box, and in the properties,
there is no 'RowSource' property.

Can someone tell me how to assign the source data range to
the the combobox from the 'Controls Toolbos' toolbar?

Thanks.
Mark
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Mark,

Instead of RowSource it's the ListFillRange for the controls combobox. I
never noticed this before I read your question, but it seems to be the same
thing.

hth,

Doug

"mark" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Mark,

Check out the LinkedCell & ListFillRange properties of the ComboBox in the
Properties window. They should give you what you're looking for.

Jake Marx
MS MVP - Excel
www.longhead.com

mark wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
No Name

Mark,

After you create your "option 3" combo box right click on
it and go to properties. Find the
property "ListFillRange" and type the range of cells that
you want to appear in the combo box. That should get you
what your lookin for!

Rob
[...]

.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Instead of RowSource it's the ListFillRange for the
controls combobox. I
never noticed this before I read your question, but it

seems to be the same
thing.

Thanks. That makes sense. I had tried that, but I must
have tried it incorrectly, because it is working now.

It appears that if you try to input a range name that
doesn't exist into the ListFillRange property, it just
ignores it... comes back blank after you hit enter.

Perhaps I did that at first.

Either way, it is working now.

Thanks.

How can I hide unused file types from file types list in save dial Estra Q Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 1 December 17th 09 12:36 PM
comboboxes [email protected] uk Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 1 December 6th 09 05:07 PM
Excel 2007 error "some chart types cannot be combined with other chart types. Select a different chart types" roadsidetree Charts and Charting in Excel 15 June 2nd 09 10:53 AM
Comboboxes mr-bear New Users to Excel 1 November 21st 06 10:05 AM
Need help with ComboBoxes. rosemary New Users to Excel 2 July 9th 05 12:19 AM