Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Problem with the Excel 10.0 Object Library

I believe there is a bug when using the Excel 10.0 Object
Library DataSeries function in VB.Net 2003. I want to set
the Date parameter in the DataSeries function as follows
(the following variable NewRange is of type Excel.Range):

NewRange.DataSeries
(Type:=Excel.XlDataSeriesType.xlChronological,
Date:=Excel.XlDataSeriesDate.xlWeekday)

but VB.Net 2003 automatically changes Date:= to DateTime:=
as follows:

NewRange.DataSeries
(Type:=Excel.XlDataSeriesType.xlChronological,
DateTime:=Excel.XlDataSeriesDate.xlWeekday)

and errors stating DateTime is not a parameter of the
DataSeries function. Could someone give me a bug fix for
this problem?

Date:=Excel.XlDataSeriesDate.xlWeekday)

but VB.Net 2003 automatically changes Date:= to DateTime:=

I know nothing of VB.Net, but can you specify arguments by position as
well as by name in the way that you can in VBA?

If so why not
NewRange.DataSeries
(Excel.XlDataSeriesType.xlChronological,
Excel.XlDataSeriesDate.xlWeekday)

Bill Manville
MVP - Microsoft Excel, Oxford, England
No email replies please - reply in newsgroup

Date:=Excel.XlDataSeriesDate.xlWeekday)

but VB.Net 2003 automatically changes Date:= to DateTime:=
as follows:

NewRange.DataSeries
(Type:=Excel.XlDataSeriesType.xlChronological,
DateTime:=Excel.XlDataSeriesDate.xlWeekday)

and errors stating DateTime is not a parameter of the
DataSeries function. Could someone give me a bug fix for
this problem?

There are Microsoft representatives who should know about this issue in
the Public.VSNet.VSTools.Office newsgroup. It looks to me like a bug
in the PIAs - that they're using a parameter name that is a reserved
keyword. I've posted a message in that newsgroup. The workaround is
to note use the named parameter, but to do it by position instead:

NewRange.DataSeries(, Excel.XlDataSeriesType.xlChronological, _
Excel.XlDataSeriesDate.xlWeekday)

Regards

Stephen Bullen
Microsoft MVP - Excel
www.BMSLtd.co.uk

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Bill,

I know nothing of VB.Net, but can you specify arguments by position as
well as by name in the way that you can in VBA?

Yes you can.

If so why not
NewRange.DataSeries
(Excel.XlDataSeriesType.xlChronological,
Excel.XlDataSeriesDate.xlWeekday)

Because the first parameter is 'rowcol' <g, so we need an extra comma:

NewRange.DataSeries
(, Excel.XlDataSeriesType.xlChronological,
Excel.XlDataSeriesDate.xlWeekday)

Regards

Stephen Bullen

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Stephen Bullen wrote:
Because the first parameter is 'rowcol' <g, so we need an extra comma:

Well spotted. Thanks!
I think my glasses must have needed cleaning this morning - I looked at
help for DateSeries but completely missed the first parameter.