Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default settings and resettings

I use an excel-based app, which is good in every respect except that it changes the settings of excel. After using the program when I start excel in its normal mode, I have to reset my formula bar, other tool bars, tab sheet etc. My questions a
1. Why is it happening?
2. What can be done about this?

Thanks in advance.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Asif,

This is probably happening due to the VBA in your excel
app changing the properties you have listed.

You need to ammend the code in your app so that it stores
your original excel settings before changing them and then
resets them back to the original settings when it closes.

For example, the Formula Bar one would look something like
this:

Global bFormulaBar As Boolean

Sub Auto_Open()
'store the original formula bar setting
bFormulaBar = Application.DisplayFormulaBar

'hide the formula bar
Application.DisplayFormulaBar = False

End Sub

Sub Auto_Close()

'reset the original setting before closing the application
Application.DisplayFormulaBar = bFormulaBar

End Sub

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

One possible reason is that the application changes your
toolbars, and Excel saves the changes in Excel.xlb without
asking (it does that!). Look in the application code if
you can, to verify. You should find code lines containing
the word "CommandBars" if that's the case.

One way to overcome this is to use a piece of code to
store your preferred settings in a file, and another one
to reset them upon request; see my reply to "Morten" 's
posting of Nov. 6, 2:34AM, titled "VVA - Excel setup" in
Excel - Miscellaneous newsgroup.

Nikos Y. (nyannaco at in dot gr)
I use an excel-based app, which is good in every respect

except that it changes the settings of excel. After using
the program when I start excel in its normal mode, I have
to reset my formula bar, other tool bars, tab sheet etc.
My questions a
1. Why is it happening?
2. What can be done about this?

Thanks in advance.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Tony,
Thanks very much! But the problem is I can't do anything with the code, as
it's a commercial program.

Tony M wrote in message ...
Asif,

This is probably happening due to the VBA in your excel
app changing the properties you have listed.

You need to ammend the code in your app so that it stores
your original excel settings before changing them and then
resets them back to the original settings when it closes.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
No Name

Asif,

In that case you should do the following:
1. get in touch with the application writers and tell them
to reset the original settings when you exit the program
2. refer to Nikos's answer!!

cheers,
Tony M.

Tony M wrote in message <0a7a01c3a53e$f6a8d140

Asif,

This is probably happening due to the VBA in your excel
app changing the properties you have listed.

You need to ammend the code in your app so that it stores
your original excel settings before changing them and

then
resets them back to the original settings when it closes.

.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Fix you clock - it isn't december yet.

Tom Ogilvy

Asif wrote in message
Thanks a lot! that was great help.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Fix you clock - it isn't december yet.

Tom Ogilvy

Asif wrote in message
I thought about the first, but the second one looks more practical.