Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Hiding a hyperlink!

Using VB6, I have created an excel spreadsheet. Some cells contain a
hyperlink to TIF image files on a specific server within the LAN. When the
user clicks on any one of these cells, it launches a copy of Imaging
software and displays the image the hyperlink is pointing to.

Is it possible to let the users view the images, like they are currently
doing, without giving them direct read access to the specific location where
the image files are located? I need to do this to ensure that the users do
not view/access the images by any means other than clicking on the
hyperlink. Also, the location of the images should be hidden from them and
they should not be able to edit or copy/paste the hyperlink to a different
software, such as word. In essance, the users should not know where the
images are actually located and they should not be able to get to them by
any other means, say using windows explorer or word.

It is really important that I accomplish something as close to this as
possible.
Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks
-- M

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

If you lock the cell (default) in Format=Cells, protection tab and also
select hidden and then protect the worksheet under
Tools=Protection=Protect sheet with a password, doesn't that do what you
want.

This certainly isn't foolproof as password crackers are easy to come by, but
does provide some security.

Obviously, you need to specify a display value, not have it default to the
fully qualified path to the file.

Tom Ogilvy

Srinivas Chundi wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I have explored this. The user can select the cell containing the hyperlink,
copy it to the clipboard (Ctrl+C) and paste it in MS word. From here he can
right click on the link to edit or view it. The protection is no longer
available once the user goes out of the Excel spreadsheet. Unless I am
missing something.
-M

"Tom Ogilvy" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Srinivas,

I think the only way you're going to be able to "hide" the real location of
the images is by adding a second layer to the process. For example, you
could store the images in a database. Alternatively, you could create an
ASP document that streams the binary output of the image when a user hits
it. For example, you could link to a URL like this:

http://myintranet/myimages/getimage.asp?imageid=20032

The ASP code would process the URL, grab the associated image from the
filesystem, and stream it back to Excel. This would hide the original
location of the image.

Jake Marx
MS MVP - Excel
www.longhead.com

Srinivas Chundi wrote:
I have explored this. The user can select the cell containing the
hyperlink, copy it to the clipboard (Ctrl+C) and paste it in MS word.
From here he can right click on the link to edit or view it. The

"Tom Ogilvy" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Jake,
Since I could not get our operations to let me use a web server, my original
idea was to create a dll that could be installed on users machines. This dll
could have functions that can copy the images from the server to a temporary
location on the users' machine. But later, I realized that the number of
users could be fairly big. So I am in the process of convincing them to use
the web server, in the manner you describe.

Can you please point me to an example or some helpful links.
Thanks for your help.
--M

Srinivas Chundi wrote:
I have explored this. The user can select the cell containing the
hyperlink, copy it to the clipboard (Ctrl+C) and paste it in MS word.
From here he can right click on the link to edit or view it. The

"Tom Ogilvy" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Srinivas,

Here's some sample ASP code that should get you started:

<%@ Language=VBScript EnableSessionState=False%
<%Option Explicit%
<%
Response.CacheControl = "no-cache"
Response.AddHeader "Pragma", "no-cache"
Response.Expires=0

Dim objStream, sImgName

sImgName=Request.QueryString("imageName")

If Len(sImgName) Then
Set objStream = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Stream")
objStream.Type = 1
objStream.Open
objStream.LoadFromFile "C:\images\" & sImgName
Response.ContentType = "image/jpeg"
Response.BinaryWrite objStream.Read
objStream.Close
Set objStream = Nothing
Else
Response.Write "Invalid image name."
End If
%

This code assumes that your images are placed in C:\images\ (on the web
server's hard drive). Excel (or wherever you place your hyperlinks) should
link to http://servername/folder/filename.as...ame=image1.jpg or
similar. Notice that the actual filename of the image (without the path) is
passed in via the imageName argument in the querystring. You could do this
differently - i.e., create a mapping of codes to filenames, which would add
a bit more complexity. But it shouldn't be too difficult.

Unless the users have rights to view the source of the ASP document (can
only be done through the file system, and they shouldn't have rights to
files on the server anyway), they will never know where the images came
from.

Jake Marx
MS MVP - Excel
www.longhead.com

"Tom Ogilvy" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Jake,
Thanks a bunch for the code.
I followed the example you gave. It should have worked, except for one thing
I ignored to mention.
The image files I have are .tif files. (I did not realise this could make a
difference). When I ran the asp page, instead of displaying the image in the
browser,
it prompted me if to select open or save. In the place where the image is
supposed to be displayed, I see a lot of strange looking text. My guess is I
do not have the right Content type. I have tried "application/tif" and
"image/tif". Neither worked.

In our installation we have something called "Imaging for Windows Preview"
that is launched when we double click on a .tif file. Is there any way to
force the browser to launch this program and display the image in it?
Thanks for your help
--M

"Tom Ogilvy" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
jaf jaf is offline

Hi Srinivas,
Tif files are not supported by IE, but they are viewable in Excel.

Have you considered using buttons on your sheet?
It should be easy to redirect to a sub passing the button# for a select
case.
The point being, you can password protect the module preventing the user
from seeing the code/hyperlink.
There is no commandbutton collection in VBA but it would be mostly
copy&paste/edit.

'worksheet module
Private Sub CommandButton1_Click()
Var = 1
GetPicture Var
End Sub

'general module
sub getpicture(Var as integer)
select case Var
case 1
application.hyperlink.follow(yourhyperlink)

John

johnf202 at hotmail dot com

"Tom Ogilvy" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I tried something similar to this. Actually, I tried to read the file from
the server into a temporary folder to which I have established a link in the
excel. Then I use the statement Hyperlinks(1).Follow statement to display
the tif file. This however did not work when the spreadsheet was password
protected. It continuosly and annoyingly popped up a message saying that the
sheet was protected, or the temp file could not be overwritten.

What you are suggesting may be different. Could you elaborate a little more.
Any links, pointers to examples would be helpful.

Thanks
-M

"Tom Ogilvy" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Srinivas,

I think "image/tiff" is the correct content-type for TIFF images.

John is correct - IE won't natively display TIFF images without a plugin or
forcing a download. However, maybe we can simplify things a bit. You could
just serve up the images directly via a URL without using ASP. For example,
you could set up a virtual directory under your website root named "images",
which points to a certain location on the web server that contains the TIFF
images. Then, your code could just hyperlink directly to the image URL
(http://myserver/images/test.tif). The first time the user hits the link,
he/she will have to uncheck the "always ask before opening this type of
file". Each time after that, however, the image should pop up in the user's
default TIFF viewing application.

This doesn't add hide the image names, but it will hide the image location,
and the user will not be able to modify the image on the server.

Jake Marx
MS MVP - Excel
www.longhead.com

"Tom Ogilvy" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Jake,
The approach you suggest seems to be the easiest route to take for what I
want to accomplish. The only hurdle I could face is from our network
administration team. If I can get them to set up a virtual directory like
you describe, things will be really easy for me.

Thanks for the idea.
-- Manohar