Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default English VBA not working on PC running French Excel

I have created an Excel Workbook for a friend in Paris to
automate Order Form completion. However, it falls over
instantly and I was wondering whether this is because I
have written it in English and they are using French
Excel. I thought that would not be a problem with Excel
2000 as most of Microsofts Add-ins would be written in
English.

Has anyone else had the problem?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi,

This may have to do with the fact that the French have a
different protection scheme than the rest of the world. Is
the workbook protected?

Regards,

Jan Karel Pieterse
Excel TA/MVP

I have created an Excel Workbook for a friend in Paris to
automate Order Form completion. However, it falls over
instantly and I was wondering whether this is because I
have written it in English and they are using French
Excel. I thought that would not be a problem with Excel
2000 as most of Microsofts Add-ins would be written in
English.

Has anyone else had the problem?
.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi,

Hmm. Maybe a code cleaning job would help. (download Rob
Bovey's excellent utility for this
fromwwww.bmsltd.co.uk/mvp

What exactly is the message the French Excel generates
when opening this file?

Since Office 97 VBA is all American, independent of the
locale. Before that, VBA was in "local" language.

Regards,

Jan Karel Pieterse
Excel TA/MVP

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

It's perfectly possible to code in English and work in non-english
versions.

On the formula side you should avoid using functions from the Analysis
Toolpak.

On the VBA side:

It could be a version conflict rather then a language problem.

You'll obviously have to avoid things like .FormulaLocal

You should be aware that new items in collections like worksheets,
shapes etc will be given "localized" names. Existing items should not be
affected but adding a worksheet will create a sheet like "Feuille4".

You should be aware of certain "locale" dependents.

Mostly things like decimal separators and date issues. If datatypes are
well chosen this mostly isn't a problem.

Be carefull however with textboxes.

VBA will always use a "." as decimal separator, but your user may very
well expect to be able to enter a number into a textbox with "his" local
",". A nasty habit of textboxes is that when the user presses the
numpad's "decimal" key VBA will always insert a "."

Subsequent use of the textbox's .text or value property may result in
errors.

try a uform with 2 textboxes and a commandbutton:
and experiment with entering number strings with different decimal
separators.

Private Sub CommandButton1_Click()
MsgBox CDbl(TextBox1) + CDbl(TextBox2) & _
vbNewLine & (Val(TextBox1) + Val(TextBox2))
End Sub

In a USEnglish environment you wont notice any problems when u use that
string as a number BUT in an int'l environment you'll probably need to
convert it first. Many but not all functions are "locale" aware.

see microsoft:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...l=/library/en-
us/dno97ta/html/msdn_intlcode.asp

If you want: zip it then mail it to address below.
Please indicate which versions both you and your french friend are
using.

(i have multilanguage install and various versions as well)

keepITcool