Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Filtering on Color

Hey guys

is it posible to filter on color? so lets say I want all texts that is
colored red to be filterd in a certain column.

is that posible?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

You can't directly filter on colors. You need to use a VBA function to
return the colorindex number of the cells, and then filter on those values.
See www.cpearson.com/excel/colors.htm for more details about returning a
colorindex value to a cell.

--
Cordially,
Chip Pearson

"maximilian" wrote in message
Hey guys

is it posible to filter on color? so lets say I want all texts that is
colored red to be filterd in a certain column.

is that posible?

~~ Message posted from
http://www.ExcelTip.com/

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

It is possible, not very efficient, if you have a means of determining
which you picked to color red that would be better. Colors are
hard to distinguish by simply looking at them especially on a laptop,
but then that might be your problem in itself.

The following is not for those assigned color by Conditional Formatting.
Set up a helper column and read the following
http://www.cpearson.com/excel/SortByColor.htm
you want to use a filter instead of sorting. Hopefully the entire cell
is colored the same. It is possible to color each letter differently
in text.
--
---
HTH,

"maximilian" wrote in message ...
Hey guys

is it posible to filter on color? so lets say I want all texts that is
colored red to be filterd in a certain column.

is that posible?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

well I see your points, maybe coloring isnt the best options.

I just simply want to mark a certian number of random cells as I reveiw
their data. afterwards I want these cells to be filterd.

I dont want to copy paste anything to other sheets. all has to be done
in mone sheet.

Is there another easy way for me to mark cells and filter them?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

bump!

any ideas on how to mark cells with diffrent markings? without using
colors.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Maximilian,
Since you need a helper column anyway to use the colors, I would
tend to just put some meaningful letter/number/text in that column
and filtering would be more meaningful if you wanted to filter on
different values.

But there is nothing wrong with Chip's solution and did not mean
to imply that there was. In fact I hadn't seen his earlier posting
before I posted. The advantage of User Defined Functions
and Macros is that you can get Excel to do more of what you want.
So if you already have things color coded then obviously that is the
easiest way for you to work with your data. If more than one user
is involved, many might prefer to use the keyboard then using the
mouse. Others might find reading data with red background annoying.

Your bump with another way to mark the cell with data in it leaves
only shading which would be worse.
---
HTH,