Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Workbook_Open macro created in Excel 97 problems on MAC

Matt

I don't know anything about Macs, but for your second question, you may want
to read this

http://www.google.com/groups?threadm....microsoft.com

--
Dick Kusleika
MVP - Excel

"Matt R" wrote in message
om...
I'm having a problem with a macro I created in Excel 97. The macro is
designed to unhide sheets in a workbook, then hide a sheet in the
workbook. Forcing the user to enable macros to use the workbook. I
am having 2 problems with it.

One is with MAC's. I do not run on a mac, however some people in the
company do. When they tried to open the latest version of my
workbook, they would click enable macros. Nothing would happen. The
'banner' sheet opens with instructions to enable macros. There is
also a button on it in the event someone has macros enabled but gets
the message anyway (My solution to my second problem). The mac users
click the button and get an error and cannot continue. The mac users
should not even get the chance to click the button thou... The sheet
should be hidden by the macro. The previous versions of my workbook
work fine on the mac. The only thing I did was add this safegaurd to
force users to open macros.

Heres the code:

Private Sub Workbook_Open()
WorkBookFileName = ThisWorkbook.Name ' Use later

'Unhide the sheets
UnHideSheets

' Jump to instructions if no name in request
' Else goto the request
If (Worksheets("test").Range("B3") = "") Then
Sheets("test2").Activate
Else
Sheets("test").Activate

And the Sub (UnHideSheets):

Sub UnHideSheets()
Sheets("test").Visible = True
Sheets("test2").Visible = True
Sheets("test3").Visible = True
Sheets("test4").Visible = True
' Safe to hide the Enable sheet for now
Sheets("Enable").Visible = xlVeryHidden
Sheets("test").Activate ' Puts user where they want to be.
End Sub

My second problem. When the user closes the workbook, there is a
before save event to hide the sheets again, and an after save event to
make them appear once you've completed the save. So I had the
following line in before save (after the hiding off the sheets):
Application.OnTime Now, "AfterSave"

And the Sub:
Sub AfterSave()
UnHideSheets
End Sub

This worked fine and dandy if you click file then save.. Until the
user closes the workbook. When it asked if you'd like to save your
changes, if you select YES... The before save would run, the file
would save, and then they would unhide again and excel won't close!
To work around it I removed the aftersave and the user will get a
message if they click file then save. It's the banner message stating
you must enable macros... Or if you have received this message in
error, click this button. Clicking the button basically runs the
workbook open event. Is there a way around this so if someone clicks
file save they get the workbook back, only after it saved changes with
the sheets hidden? and ALSO allow them the exit excel if they click
yes when prompted to save changes before exiting?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance to all who even take the
time to read this message thats too long!!

Matt

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

"Dick Kusleika" wrote in message ...
Matt

I don't know anything about Macs, but for your second question, you may want
to read this

http://www.google.com/groups?threadm....microsoft.com

Dick,

I have created macros to hide while saving and unhide when opening.
They work great. The only problem is if someone closes the worksheet,
gets the message "Do you want to save changes" and selects "YES" The
macro's that hide, save and unhide run and the workbook never closes.

Matt
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Matt

I thought maybe John Wilson had a solution in that thread. I tested it
today, and it doesn't do any better than what you have now.

I haven't been able to come up with a solution for you. I thought that by
adding a public variable and changing it in the BeforeClose event that you
could close the worksheet in the BeforeSave event, but that kept crashing
Excel.

I think your next step is to program the BeforeClose event similar to how
you have the BeforeSave event. Start with Cancel=True, then handle the
saving in your code. I haven't tested that either because I'm tired of
rebooting.

--
Dick Kusleika
MVP - Excel