Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default export from Access to Excel has created problems with

I am a new user with vision impairment, so it is extremely likely that I
missed the help that has already been offered. For that I apologize and thank
you for your input.

I was working on a database in Access, but was having a problem because of
my vision. It was suggested that I would have better luck working in Excel
and since I have worked with it before I decided to try.

I exported my worksheet to Excel but when I openned it in Excel I
immediately noticed something was very different. It is as though every cell
has been "formatted as a mini document, complete ith "wrap around". While I
can see the usefulness of this, and wouldn't mind being able to figure out
how to do that, this is not the place where I want such formating to be.

Also, with in the worksheet, over half of the sheet contains extra spaces
where none are called for. Example:
| 123 | 456 | 789 |
| 123 | 456 | 789 |
| | | |
| 123 | 456 | 789 |
I have checked the entire visable record and there is no visable reason for
this extra space. It would be understandable if there were wrap-around text
in some of the cells of the record but in over half of them there are not.
For some reason, about a quarter of the enteries seem unaffected by this.

If someone can tell me where I made my mistake and help me get this back
working the way a new worksheet would work and look I would be very thankful.

Thanks again for your attention.

--
Siuan
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

There is more than one thing that may have caused the text to wrap within the
Excel cells. Let's try one fix at a time.

Select all of the cells on the Excel sheet. The easiest way to do that is
to click on the empty/blank square just above the #1 row label and to the
left of the column A label.

Go to the Excel Menu bar and choose
Edit
....then choose
Clear
....then choose
Formats

this will clear ALL formatting on all cells. That may cause you to have to
reformat some columns that contain dates, percentages or currency values.
There is a way to just clear Text Wrapping, but this method makes sure that
all formatting is removed and may help more than just undoing Text Wrap. But
I'll give instructions for just clearing Text Wrap in a minute.

Now see how your Excel sheet looks. If this fixed the problem, then you may
have to change the width of some cells to see all of the text in them on
screen.

I have not talked about the cells that seem to have been empty, because this
may have caused hidden text in them to show up.

How to clear JUST the Text Wrap format.
Start like we did before, by selecting all cells with data in them.

From the Menu Toolbar, choose
Format
....then choose
Cells
....then choose the [Alignment] tab and clear the box next to the [Wrap Text]
label. Click the [OK] button to close the window. This would clear just the
text wrap format and leave dates, currency, percentages and other special
formatting unchanged.

Let us know if this helped fix the problem at all, or if you still seem to
have either wrapped text or empty cells. You might also look and see if
there any little white or black rectangles/squares in the middle of any of
the text that still does not look correct.

"Siuan" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Thank you VERY much. That was exactly what I needed and I have copied your
instructions to my own personal help tricks for future reference. Again,
thankyou.
--
Siuan