Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Object libraries

I am writing code in Excel 2000 and am using a library
Micosoft Office 9.0 Object Library.

The program will not work in Excel 97 because the
relevant library used in Excel 97 is Micosoft Office 8.0
Object Library.

How can I either install 8.0 in my XL 2000 or
alternatively, install 9.0 in XL 97?

Lionel

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Micosoft Office 9.0 Object Library.

This library will automatically will 8.0 when you run your
workbook in Excel 97.
Other references like Outlook for example will not do this.
You must open the file in Excel 97 and uncheck the missing reference
and check the good one and save the file before you distribute the file.

--
Regards Ron de Bruin
(Win XP Pro SP-1 XL2002 SP-2)

"Lionel Fridjhon" wrote in message ...
I am writing code in Excel 2000 and am using a library
Micosoft Office 9.0 Object Library.

The program will not work in Excel 97 because the
relevant library used in Excel 97 is Micosoft Office 8.0
Object Library.

How can I either install 8.0 in my XL 2000 or
alternatively, install 9.0 in XL 97?

Lionel

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Lionel,

You can usually overcome this sort of problem with late binding.

Post the code and we can address specific issues.

--

HTH

Bob Phillips

"Lionel Fridjhon" wrote in message
I am writing code in Excel 2000 and am using a library
Micosoft Office 9.0 Object Library.

The program will not work in Excel 97 because the
relevant library used in Excel 97 is Micosoft Office 8.0
Object Library.

How can I either install 8.0 in my XL 2000 or
alternatively, install 9.0 in XL 97?

Lionel

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Ron

I did try this, but I cannot uncheck the "MISSING"
reference. as the dialog box says it in use, even though
I did check the 8.0 library.
Can you help?
Lionel

[...]

.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Bob

There is quite a lot of code. Should I post the whole
spreadsheet with the code, or e-mail it to you with the
spreadsheet attached?

Lionel

You can usually overcome this sort of problem with late

binding.

Post the code and we can address specific issues.

--

HTH

Bob Phillips

"Lionel Fridjhon" wrote in

message
I am writing code in Excel 2000 and am using a library
Micosoft Office 9.0 Object Library.

The program will not work in Excel 97 because the
relevant library used in Excel 97 is Micosoft Office

8.0
Object Library.

How can I either install 8.0 in my XL 2000 or
alternatively, install 9.0 in XL 97?

Lionel

.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Lionel,

Converting the code to late binding is quite simple. Whenever you have a
declaration like

Dim X As Excel.something ' e.g., Application, Workbook, Worksheet, Range,
etc

change it to

Dim X As Object

Then, use CreateObject to create the Application object. E.g., instead of
using

Set XL = New Excel.Application

use

Set XL = CreateObject("Excel.Application")

--
Cordially,
Chip Pearson

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Ron

When I open the file in XL 97 the 9.0 Object Lib is
stated as "MISSING" and won't allow me to uncheck. Even
if I check the 8.0 lib, the program baulks at
teh "MISSING" statement.
Is there another way to get the missing 9.0 off the
Reference list, or to have 8.0 installed before I
distribute?

Lionel

For the Micosoft 9.0 Object Library you don't have to do

anything
when you open it in Excel 97 it will be 8.0.

?

--
Regards Ron de Bruin
(Win XP Pro SP-1 XL2002 SP-2)

[...]