Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default XL 2000: automating drag-and-drop for worksheet ranges. Using Code!

I'm afraid I haven't clue how to answer your question.
Only responding because a) it's been hanging around, and
b) your OP is close to one I posted to which someone has
been good enough to answer (namely Tom Ogilvy).

So, my suggestion is to elaborate on your ultimate
objective.
Eg why do you want to automate Worksheet drag & drop. If
it’s about move/copy ranges with mouse, events would be
triggered on select and change if you need to trap these.
Or maybe it concerns move/resize objects. Hopefully if you
explain a little more someone far more expert might
suggest an alternative approach.

Good luck,
Dan

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I think what you are asking is impossible. "Click, Hold, and Drag" already is assigned to a
function: extending the selection.

Even if you could implement this, I wouldn't recommend it unless your users never use Excel for
anything other than your application, or for that matter, any other Windows apps. Click, Hold
and Drag extends the selection in every other Windows app that I can think of. So you're really
trying to change some fundamental Windows behavior.

As far as controlling what users can and can't do, doesn't protecting the worksheet give you the
control you need?

Another option would be to get all user input via Forms and not allow the user to manipulate the
worksheet at all.

On Tue, 2 Sep 2003 11:37:47 -0700, "Bill Garcia" wrote:

Good suggestion. Here is the problem in a nut shell.

In XL when the user selects a cell, the default behaviour
is for the cell to become activated. If after selecting,
the user holds the left mouse button down while dragging,
a range of cells is highlighted.

However If the user wants to move the cell to another
address, he/she must then select the border of the cell,
hold down the mouse button and then drag it to the new
destination.

I want to click, hold and drag all in one step without
having to first select the cell, then the border.

It is all about controlling the UI and what I want the
users to do and not to do. I realize this is not a regular
question. I think this extends beyond the confines of the
environment.

But, hopefully not, somehow the application knows each
action. There most be an event that fires when the user
drags the pointer over the cell's border. This most be how
the app knows to change the mouse from xlDefault to
xlNorthWest. This is the event I want to tap into, but it
is not exposed and so far I have not been able to simulate
it.

Appreciate your comments. Thanks for the help.
BG
[...]

.

.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Come on this is a computer, only limits are those which we
put on them. If you tell me that is a limitation of the
application I aggree, except this is an OLE app.

As far as the users never using excel for anything else or
fundamental windows functionality. I take advantage of
this seemingly fundamental behaviour, for the average
user, but we control the behaviour.

I'm only trying to achieve a mode, a state, nothing that
couldn't be restored by simply reseting the app on
sheet_change event. Totaly outside of the operating system.

Thanks for the help.
BG

wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

On Tue, 2 Sep 2003 13:37:17 -0700, "Bill Garcia" wrote:

I'm only trying to achieve a mode, a state, nothing that
couldn't be restored by simply reseting the app on
sheet_change event.

Except that Excel wasn't programmed to behave this way. I that's what you want, I think you'll
have to program it yourself, "from the ground up", outside of Excel.