Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Personal.xls Question

I created some subroutines that I saved in a file called
Personal.xls. I assumed that this file was the "global"
file that all Excel installations loaded when started up.
This is the file that is always/usually hidden.
Apparently, this is not the case. Some Excel
installations have it and other don't. Can anyone confirm
this for me? If this is true, which versions of Excel use
Personal.xls? If I wanted to create a "global" file to
hold my subroutines and a version of Excel does not have
one, how do I create this hidden file so that it is
always loaded.

Thanks!
JR
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I think all versions of Excel use Personal.xls. For it to
be auomatically opened when Excel is, just put it in the
C:\ . . .\xlStart folder (directory).

HTH,
Merjet

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Personal.xls is created when you first record a macro and elect to have it
saved in the personal.xls.

There is nothing exceptional about personal.xls except that when Excel
creates it, it marks it as hidden and puts it in the xlstart directory. All
files in the xlstart directory are opened when excel is started manually.

There is nothing global about it. Any changes you make to personal.xls are
only to your personal.xls. You could create an alternate startup directory
for all users and have it point to a common location (netword shared drive)
and put an xls file there - don't call it personal.xls, however, because
there can only be one file with that name open at any given time.

Usually one creates an addin for distributing macros.

There is no one right solution - it depends on your situation and you really
haven't said much about that.

Tom Ogilvy

JR wrote in message
I created some subroutines that I saved in a file called
Personal.xls. I assumed that this file was the "global"
file that all Excel installations loaded when started up.
This is the file that is always/usually hidden.
Apparently, this is not the case. Some Excel
installations have it and other don't. Can anyone confirm
this for me? If this is true, which versions of Excel use
Personal.xls? If I wanted to create a "global" file to
hold my subroutines and a version of Excel does not have
one, how do I create this hidden file so that it is
always loaded.

Thanks!
JR

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

It doesn't exist until the user creates a macro. It's just an ordinary workbook, with three
special characteristics: its name (personal.xls), its location (in the XLSTART directory or your
Alternate Startup Location), and it's hidden before it is saved.

Excel always loads ALL files in the XLSTART directory, regardless of their names. So just create
your file and put it in XLSTART.

On Sat, 23 Aug 2003 05:45:35 -0700, "JR" wrote:

I created some subroutines that I saved in a file called
Personal.xls. I assumed that this file was the "global"
file that all Excel installations loaded when started up.
This is the file that is always/usually hidden.
Apparently, this is not the case. Some Excel
installations have it and other don't. Can anyone confirm
this for me? If this is true, which versions of Excel use
Personal.xls? If I wanted to create a "global" file to
hold my subroutines and a version of Excel does not have
one, how do I create this hidden file so that it is
always loaded.

Thanks!
JR

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Personal.xls It is virus!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This workbook contain virus named Laroux.
If You have this file, delete it!
Use anti-virus scaner to check and cure your all xl files.

Depending of version of Laroux, this virus can do one of these things:
- delete all system files,
- format C:\
- and many more

--
Sorry for my language, I'm still learning
losmac
Użytkownik "merjet" napisał w wiadomości
I think all versions of Excel use Personal.xls. For it to
be auomatically opened when Excel is, just put it in the
C:\ . . .\xlStart folder (directory).

HTH,
Merjet

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I expect you are misquoting something. Most people who use
Excel have a personal.xls file to keep their macros in, and would
be in big trouble if they or someone else deleted their main
macro workbook.

Your statement is not unlike many virus hoaxes that
tell you to delete some system file because it is a virus.

Getting started with macros

HTH,