Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Excel XP x Playing Sounds

Thank you very much! it's working!

Also: would it be possible to play a two-frequency tone with the Beep
function?

Thank you
Paulo Borelli.

"Tom Ogilvy" wrote in message
Here is a possibility that you might be able to adapt to your needs. This
is an old post I made:

From: Tom Ogilvy )
Subject: N beeps per second
Original Format
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.excel.programming
Date: 2003-01-02 20:11:28 PST

I checked this in the API reference. The below will work for Win NT, Win
2000 and Win XP, but in Win 95/ Win 98/ and ME, the two arguments are
ignored - so it won't work in those versions.

Regards,
Tom Ogilvy

Tom Ogilvy wrote in message
This worked in Windows 2000

Declare Function Beep Lib "kernel32" (ByVal dwFreq As Long, ByVal

dwDuration
As Long) As Long

Sub Beep1()
Dim num As Single
Dim num1 As Long
Dim numLoops As Single
num = 0.5
NumSeconds = 4
numLoops = (NumSeconds * num * 2) / 2
If numLoops < 1 Then
numLoops = 1
End If
num1 = 1000 / (num * 2)

For i = 1 To numLoops
Beep 500, num1
Beep 10000, num1
Next
End Sub

The arguments to Beep are Frequency and Duration. 1000 is 1 second for
duration. I beep twice - one with in an audible frequency (500 to 3000)

and
once with an inaudible frequency. Num represents the number of times

per
second (you can add an input box to get this). If the number of times

second is 1, I would see the sound as being half a second since it must

be
accompanied by an addition half second of quiet. Like wise, if number

per
second is 2, the duration would be a quarter second (quarter tone,

quarter
quiet, quarter tone, quarter quite). Anyway, I think that is the way it
behaves.

Regards,
Tom Ogilvy
"Jason Kanter" wrote in message
I need to make a macro that will force Excel to beep (or make some

sound,
which I would like to choose) x times per second. The x might be

anything
from 0.5 to 20 (though an upper limit of 15 would also work for my
purposes). I would want to click a button, have a dialog box ask

how
many
per second, enter the number and have the ticking start and

continue
until I
hit escape or click a Stop button. (This is for use in piano

tuning.)
Suggestions? /Thanks

. jason kanter . .

"Paulo de Arruda Borelli" wrote in message
I need to play some very simple sounds on Excel XP. All that I need is

supply Excel with a frequency and a duration. That's all. How can this

be
done? The Visual Basic Help under Excel tells me that the sound

functions
have been removed from Excel! The only one that remained is beep, which

is
far from what I need.

Thank you!
Paulo.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

You mean simultaneously? I doubt it with that function as I see no
provision for it. I think you are getting into programming the sound card
to do something like that, but I really am no expert in the area of sound.
You might find it easier to get your tone in a wav file and play that.

XL: How to Play Sounds Using Visual Basic for Applications

XL: How to Play a Warning Sound If Critical Value Is Exceeded

http://support.microsoft.com/default...kb;en-us;86281
HOWTO: Play a Waveform (.WAV) Sound File in Visual Basic
[Contains the Constants for the Arguments]

WD: How to Play a .wav Sound File by Using a Macro

WD2000: How to Play a .wav Sound File Using a Macro

HOWTO: Use the MessageBeep API to Play System .WAV Files

Tom Ogilvy

From: Tom Ogilvy )
Original Format
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.excel.programming