Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default CELL drop down menu

I want to create a pull down menu list so I can choose
the cell value picking from the list. I have create a
list with a code and the the catagory description. I
want the pull down menu to have the format "CODE:
DESCRIPTION" but on place the Code in the cell. Is there
a way to do this in VBA. I know in excel I can easily
create the pulldown method but I don't think it
accommodates my format. Thanks for your help
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I've done this by using two cells. The first includes a drop down data
validation that references a list that concantenates a product code and a
product names. The cell with the validation might be cell "A1" and an entry
might look like " P03 - Blue Widgets". The second cell includes the product
code from the first cell. A formula might be something like =
left(A1,find("-",A1)-2). This would result in "P03" being placed into the
second cell.

- John Michl

"BrianB" wrote in message
om...