Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Form control names

When I right click on an ActiveX control in a worksheet, I have an
opportunity to set and learn the control's properties, including changing
the control's name.

How do I do that for the old controls from the Forms toolbar?
In particular, how do I learn/set the control's name?

I know how to do this within the code, e.g.:

ActiveSheet.DropDown(1).name = "PizzaMenu"

But cannot seem to find the control property, for a Forms control, via the
GUI.
--
http://www.standards.com/; Howard Kaikow's web site.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Howard,

You can manually change the name by selecting the control
(right-click) and entering the name in the Name box, the same
place you type in range names.

In VBA, use something like
ActiveSheet.DropDowns(1).Name = "TheNewName"

--
Cordially,
Chip Pearson

"Howard Kaikow" wrote in message
When I right click on an ActiveX control in a worksheet, I have

an
opportunity to set and learn the control's properties, including

changing
the control's name.

How do I do that for the old controls from the Forms toolbar?
In particular, how do I learn/set the control's name?

I know how to do this within the code, e.g.:

ActiveSheet.DropDown(1).name = "PizzaMenu"

But cannot seem to find the control property, for a Forms

control, via the
GUI.
--
http://www.standards.com/; Howard Kaikow's web site.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

In the Insert | Name menu, that's a bad interface.

I had given an example of how to do it in VBA in my original posting.

Alas, Excel 97, 2000 and 2002 all treat, e.g., DropDowns as a hidden object
and offer no Help.
Have not yet checked the Help in Excel 95.

--
"Chip Pearson" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Howard,

I am referring to the name dropdown box to the left of the formula
bar, not the Names dialog box.

--
Cordially,
Chip Pearson
Microsoft MVP - Excel
Pearson Software Consulting, LLC
www.cpearson.com

"Howard Kaikow" wrote in message
I tried using Insert |Names.
All I could do was add a name.
The control name was not changed.

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Try using the namebox to the left of the formulabar (with the dropdown
selected).

You can see the hidden elements in the object browser, too.

Back to the VBE. Hit F2 (to start the object browser)
Then rightclick in the object brower and check "show hidden members"
Then search for dropdown and you'll see lots of neat stuff.

Howard Kaikow wrote:

[...]

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I know about the Show Hidden Members, but all it does is list the critters.
For example, there's no info about DropDowns.

I'll have to see whether Excel 7 has any such info, ..., OK, just looked,
Excel 7 has description of DropDowns, etc..
Alas, I wish I had an Excel 7 VBA book.
Hmmm, perhaps, I can copy the Excel 7 VBA Help file?
Ayup, VBA_XL.HLP does the deed.