Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Moving Macros

We are converting from Excel 2000 to Excel XP. I have numerous macros,
custom tool bars & custom buttons with macros attached to them in my Excel
2000. Is there any way to move these to the new version of Excel? I realize
that for the most part they will be compatible. I just need to get them into
the new version without having to recreate all of them again.
Thanks in advance for any help.
--
Dewayne
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

if they're saved in personal.xls i think they'll import automatically

if not you can do it by opening the files with the macros then go to
the vba editor (alt-f11) and export the modules/userform/whatever by
right clicking on them in the project explorer and choosing export

--
MDubbelboer
MDubbelboer's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=36330

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Dewayne

Macros can live in the workbooks in which they were created or in
Personal.xls.

You also could have placed the macros in a workbook and saved it as an
Add-in(*.xla)

If in Personal.xls, you must find that file and store it in your XLSTART
folder.

If in workbooks, just open those workbooks to access the macros.

If in an add-in, find it and load it through ToolsAdd-ins.

For the rest of it..................

Toolbar and Menu customizations are stored in your xxxxxx.XLB file where
xxxxxx is version-dependent name.

Excel 2000...Excel9.xlb

Excel 2002...Excel10.xlb

Excel 2003...Excel11.xlb

Note: there may be other customizations you want to transfer at the same time.

Before reading further.......

Transferring your *.xlb file from 2000 to 2003 will reduce the functionality
of new version menu items, although most of them can be dragged onto the old
menu.

Read on.........

NOTE: some settings are workbook-specific and would be stored with the
workbook.

For other global stored settings..........

Screen layout, color info, checked Add-ins and many ToolsOptions
settings are stored in the Registry, not in the *.XLB file.

To see some of what's stored in the Registry have a peek at this
section in it, if you feel comfortable.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\XX.0\E xcel\Options

XX is your version of Excel...8,9,10,11

Assuming you are aware of the precautions taken when editing the
Registry and know how to restore a recent backup of same.......

If not, maybe have a look here first...scroll down to "Registry
editing tips"

http://www.activewin.com/tips/reg/index.shtml

Export all these keys(as a branch group) to a .REG file so's you can
back them up.

Note also: you may want to move over your *.ACL(autocorrect files) and any
*.DIC files.

For a more comprehensive listing see Dave Peterson's posting at

http://snipurl.com/8r7x

Dave will be along shortly to instruct you on how to create menus and toolbars
"on the fly" so's you don't have Custom Toolbars stored in your *.XLB file.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On Tue, 18 Jul 2006 15:23:02 -0700, Dewayne
wrote:

We are converting from Excel 2000 to Excel XP. I have numerous macros,
custom tool bars & custom buttons with macros attached to them in my Excel
2000. Is there any way to move these to the new version of Excel? I realize
that for the most part they will be compatible. I just need to get them into
the new version without having to recreate all of them again.
Thanks in advance for any help.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP