Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Trying to Merge 2 Workbooks

I am trying to merge 2 workbooks, again something I do on a daily basis
almost. I have followed the directions given by Excel Help, but I can not
click on the Compare and Merge Workbooks option on the Tools menu. Is there
another way that I can do this without having to move back and forth between
the 2 workbooks?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Anne,

First. If you want compare and merge 2 workbooks, they must be shared (Tools
- share workbook). Second criteria is, that they are not 2 different
workbooks, but for example you create 1 workbook, then save it as workbook 2
and make changes in this second (or first) workbook... So, basically, they
must be a kind of "versions" of the same file.
If you want to merge 2 completely different workbooks, you can do this by
using query (if they have for example at least 1 field that is the same in
both of them). Sometimes it is easier to use Access and make 1 query to
display unmatched data (for example data that is in workbook 2 and not in
workbook 2) and then append this data to the first workbook. This is only one
way, but you can choose various queries... depending on what exactly you want.
Using MS Query (the one in Excel) is not so user friendly (read "simple") as
MS Access :)

Regards,
Nika Lampe

"Anne" je napisal:

I am trying to merge 2 workbooks, again something I do on a daily basis
almost. I have followed the directions given by Excel Help, but I can not
click on the Compare and Merge Workbooks option on the Tools menu. Is there
another way that I can do this without having to move back and forth between
the 2 workbooks?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Anne

The "compare and merge" feature is for copies of shared workbooks only.

Both copies must be open each with a unique name.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP