Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
micky

Default excel show merge workbooks button

I want to merge 2 excel workbooks, there is no compare and merge workbooks on
the tools menu. I tried to add the command to the category - no luck. I can
drag the command to the top of the page but it is 'grayed out' and i can't
use it.
Is there another way to get to the 'select files to merge into current
workbook'?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Gord Dibben

Micky

The ToolsCompare and Merge Workbooks is functional only when the workbook is
shared and you are merging more than one copy of the shared workbook.

See Help on this.

Make sure the copies of the shared workbook (shared workbook: A workbook set up
to allow multiple users on a network to view and make changes at the same time.
Each user who saves the workbook sees the changes made by other users.) that you
want to merge are all stored in the same folder. To do this, you must give each
copy a different name.
Open the copy into which you want to merge changes.
On the Tools menu, click Compare and Merge Workbooks.
If prompted, save the workbook.
In the Select Files to Merge into Current Workbook dialog box, click a copy that
has changes to be merged, and then click OK.
To merge more than one copy at the same time, hold down CTRL or SHIFT and click
the file names, and then click OK.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Wed, 26 Apr 2006 10:43:02 -0700, micky
wrote:

I want to merge 2 excel workbooks, there is no compare and merge workbooks on
the tools menu. I tried to add the command to the category - no luck. I can
drag the command to the top of the page but it is 'grayed out' and i can't
use it.
Is there another way to get to the 'select files to merge into current
workbook'?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
micky

Thank you so much for the response -- did as you suggested.. and the question
has now changed:
the compare and merge workbooks is now available for use.
I get the sense that this functionality is to have 1 master workbook and
several people adding to it.
My needed functionality is where several people have their 'own data' and
periodically i need to merge them into a 'summary of the data' . Data in our
case is not numeric. If person A has row 1-5 of text and person B has row
6-10, I would like to merge them into the summary which has row 1-10. Is
this possible?