Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Refrashing Data

Hi, I am hoping someone can help me with an issue I am experiencing with
Excel.

I have a spreadsheet that is connected to an SQL database, this is
extracting certain information. However, I have created my own column
so I can add further information, but every time I press the refresh
button and a new record(s) has been added then all the rows move down
expect my “manual column” – example below.

Column A C - automatically updated
Column D - manual

Column A | Column B | Column C | Column D
1 John Day 35 Employed
2 Bill Dugmore 23 Contractor
3 Fred Ross 55 Employed
4 Matt Miller 20 Contractor
5 Simon Campbell 21 Employed

When I press refresh it looks like this:

Column A | Column B | Column C | Column D
1 John Day 35 Employed
2 Bill Dugmor 23 Contractor
3 Frank Coughlin 35 Employed
4 Fred Ross 55 Contractor
5 Matt Miller 20 Employed
6 Simon Campbell 21

As you can see above, Col A C has moved down correctly (once).
Unfortunately Col D hasn’t moved so the data is now incorrect. This is
OK (but not ideal) to manage when you have 1 or 2 records but when you
have 100+ being added in various positions it becomes "very" hard to
manage and creates incorrect information.

So my question is this, is there are why of associating manual columns
(Col D) to the other three columns – I want to be able to press refresh
and then all (including any manual cols) move down all together.

I hope this is clear.

--
judge
judge's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=29632

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Here's one way.

Create an extra column which contains the concatentated values in the
first 3.

e.g. = A1 & B1 & C1

Create a copy of this column and adjacent to this add the column of
your own comments.

Then use the VLOOKUP function to tie the comments back to their correct
line

--
mrice

Research Scientist with many years of spreadsheet development experience
mrice's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=10931
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=562107