Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Error suddenly started occuring

I've been working on financial analysis progam which inputs data from two
Excel files and outputs to three multi-tabed Excel files.

I've been working on several macros to perform than analysis over the past
4-weeks. (The program is ~2,000 lines and I wanted to break into multiple
macros so its easier to debug.)

I began getting a new error today, and it is occuring in a part of the
programs that I have not recently modifed.

When copying worksheets from the main program file to an output file, I now
get the following error is a messagebox with Yes/No response buttons:

"A formula or sheet you want to mover or copy contains the name
'NamedRange', which already exists on the destination worksheet. Do you want
to use this version of the name?
-To use the name as defined in the destination sheet, clidk Yes.
-To rename the range referred to in the formula or worksheet, click No, adn
enter a new name in the Name Conflict dialog box."

I don't know what this error means.
If I click Yes - it proceeds normally until the next time the program wants
to copy another sheet. If I click No, I get a dialogue box asking me for a
new name. If I type in a new name it still proceeds using the old name and
seems to ignore the new name altogether.
I don't have any variables named 'NamedRange'.

I'm beginning to think my main program file is corrupt, or that an Excel
file is corrupt.

--
Richard
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

A named range is a name you've given to either a single cell or a group of
cells using the 'Name Box' (that little box where the cell address usually
shows up).

The warning you've received is telling you that you're trying to copy some
stuff that includes a named range which the name of is also on the
destination sheet. Typically when this happens you usually want to keep the
name (reply 'YES') - but since you say you haven't knowingly named anything,
then you need to look further.

First place I'd look is in the list of names for the workbooks. Use
Insert | Name | Define and it will show you a list of defined names in the
workbook and tell you what they refer to. You may see some that Excel has
set up like PrintArea. What you may also see is an entry or two that looks
like something you may have typed at some time when you were in the Name Box
and didn't realize it. If that's the case, just choose that name and
[Delete] it.

"Richard" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
bjc bjc is offline

I'm having the same warning appear - but the difference is that I'm only
creating a copy of the worksheet. There is no "destination" worksheet that
already exists.

I've tried searching for the named ranges that are indicated in the warning
boxes using (Insert | Name | Define), but they're not listed.

The two "names" are somewhat suspicious too: wrn.test. and WTF
Are there any other suggestions as to how to identify what's causing the
warnings?

thanks

"Richard" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Could you send an email to
HelpFrom @ jlathamsite. com
(remove the spaces)
with a copy of the file attached? I could look around and see if I can
figure out where the names are referenced - quite possibly in a formula or
two. You might select each sheet in turn and do a Find for the names
mentioned with the option to look in formulas checked. That might show
something.

JLatham

"Richard" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I have the same problem and it's pretty annoying. Before it was just several
names, but with my latest file I have to click "Yes" (to use the name as
defined) around 30 times...

I deleted all the names for cells or ranges from the workbook. I thought it
could be related to macros, but there were no macros or VBA codes.

I see the following names: '_Table1_Out', 'c.LTMYear', 'Cwvu.GREY_ALL.'

All I'm doing is copying worksheets,

Thanks,

"Richard" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

"Richard" wrote:

[...]

Richard- Hide quoted text -

Are your .xls file corrupt? If so, you can try some Excel file
recovery tools, see Advanced Excel Repair to repair your Excel file.
By the way, I think Advanced Excel Repair is a powerful tool.

Detailed information about Advanced Excel Repair can be found at
http://www.datanumen.com/aer/

And you can also download a free demo version at http://www.datanumen.com/aer/aer.exe

Alan