Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Excel 2000/Visual Basic -- I need to learn...

I want to teach myself Visual Basic in my limited free time. Can anyone
point me in the direction of the most efficient/free way to do this? I am a
hands-on learner and I learn best by example and duplicating tasks then
creating my own. Is there a good reference website out there of VB
code/formulas? I am of limited income and I am looking to educate myself to
further my job opportunities. Thanks for your help!!!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
JMB JMB is offline

The macro recorder is a good place to start. Record some macros and look at
the code that is generated. This helps learn how vba refers to things. Bear
in mind, some parts of the code generated by the recorder is unnecessary
(such as scrolling, selecting, and activating things)

mvps.org (under the Excel section) has some good links to websites w/code
samples. I think David McRitchies has some tutorials. Two others that I can
remember:

xldynamic.com
mcgimpsey.com

If you can afford some books, John Walkenbach has a few (j-walk.com). Some
of the mvps websites have suggested reading materials.

And I've found this newsgroup to be a great place to learn. Some of the
posters include their websites in their signature, so additional places to
check out.

"CMIConnie" wrote:

I want to teach myself Visual Basic in my limited free time. Can anyone
point me in the direction of the most efficient/free way to do this? I am a
hands-on learner and I learn best by example and duplicating tasks then
creating my own. Is there a good reference website out there of VB
code/formulas? I am of limited income and I am looking to educate myself to
further my job opportunities. Thanks for your help!!!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Connie
One of the best sources I have seen is these Excel newsgroups. They
microsoft.public.excel
microsoft.public.excel.misc
microsoft.public.excel.newusers
microsoft.public.excel.programming
microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

The programming newsgroup leans more heavily on programming but they all get
into programming in various degrees.
By perusing these newsgroups you will see literally thousands of real
questions posted by real people as well as responses to those questions.
The opportunity to learn is right there in black and white.
You can also post your own questions and get prompt help.
There are also many books available. The most helpful I have found are the
series of books by John Walkenback. They are titled Microsoft Excel XXXX
Power Programming With VBA. The XXXX is the latest version of Excel covered
by that book. For instance, I have 2000 and 2003. Each book covers all
versions up to and including the title version, so your best bet is to get
the latest version of the book. Amazon.com is what I have found to be the
cheapest source. HTH Otto