Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Cell Formula substitution.

How do you substitute a cell reference with the formula contained with
the referenced cell?

For instance I have cell B7 which has the formula =B5*B4*B3

cell D11 has the formula =B7*C7

I want the computer to go through and substitute so cell D11 reads
=(B5*B4*B3) * C7

I know I could go through and do this by hand, but I have 5 layers of
nested formulas to get to the actual data. I am a novice excel user and
it seems to me that there should be some included something to go
through and do all of these nested substitutions without making any
mistakes, like I will. Can anyone help me?

--
id3372
id3372's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=36176

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

This is a strange question. If cell B7 is like you say, then the answer
to B5*B4*B3 will be seen in cell B7. D11 will therefore give you the
answer B7*C7 which is the same answer as =(B5*B4*B3) * C7 . Why do you
want to substitute the forumula into cell D11?

If you can explain why you are trying to do this, then it may help.

Matt

--
Mallycat
Mallycat's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=35514

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

This is a multi-step problem. I want to try and simplify it to
understand it better. The answer should be 1 but it never is so I
thought that if I could reduce it down to a single line problem, I
could simplify it and understand it better.

--
id3372
id3372's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=36176
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=559552

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Might this help you?

<Tools <Formula Auditing
And, at the bottom, click on "Formula Auditing Toolbar".

This gives you a floating toolbar which, when one of your formula cells is
selected, you click on an option, and it will insert arrows to precedent and
dependant cells that are contained in the formula of the selected cell.

Play around with all the choices and see if it helps.

You can anchor the toolbar if you wish.
--

HTH,

RD