Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
NAS NAS is offline

Default Drop-down lists in vlookup

I know how to make a vlookup and a dropdown list but i want to know if there
is a way to have the vlookup create a row of info but also allow a dropdown
list be in the middle of it so that you can have different options for
certain columns.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

a bit more explanation might be helpful but take a look in the help index
for INDIRECT

--
Don Guillett
SalesAid Software

"NAS" wrote in message
I know how to make a vlookup and a dropdown list but i want to know if
there
is a way to have the vlookup create a row of info but also allow a
dropdown
list be in the middle of it so that you can have different options for
certain columns.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Max Max is offline

"NAS" wrote:
I know how to make a vlookup and a dropdown list but i want to know if there
is a way to have the vlookup create a row of info but also allow a dropdown
list be in the middle of it so that you can have different options for
certain columns.

Perhaps just point the vlookup's col_index_num param to a cell which
contains the DV housing the selectable numbers: 1,2,3 ...

Eg in say, C2: =VLOOKUP(B2,MyTable,$C$1,0)
where cell C1 houses the DV to select the desired col_index_num
--
Max
Singapore
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
NAS NAS is offline

Vlookup table
Proc Operation Measurement Device
11 Laser Flat Fabrivsontness
The device
12 Press Bend Faro Arm
column in the
13 Mill Slot Micrometer
vlookup table has

drop-down boxs

in each cell.
So now when i put the vlookup into another table the drop-down lists do not
come in. Only the text that displays in the vlookup table comes in. I would
like the drop-down lists in there so that i can change the Device type if so
desired from the list in the vlookup table.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Max Max is offline

Think it's not possible via formulas. A formula can return only an evaluated
value to the cell it's in. It cannot return a "working" DV droplist.
--
"NAS" wrote:
Vlookup table
Proc Operation Measurement Device
11 Laser Flat Fabrivsontness
The device
12 Press Bend Faro Arm
column in the
13 Mill Slot Micrometer
vlookup table has

drop-down boxs

in each cell.
So now when i put the vlookup into another table the drop-down lists do not
come in. Only the text that displays in the vlookup table comes in. I would
like the drop-down lists in there so that i can change the Device type if so
desired from the list in the vlookup table.

Orig. post
"NAS" wrote:
I know how to make a vlookup and a dropdown list but i want to know if there
is a way to have the vlookup create a row of info but also allow a dropdown
list be in the middle of it so that you can have different options for
certain columns.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
NAS NAS is offline

Is there another way of doing something like this with another type of
formula or something all together different.

"NAS" wrote:
I know how to make a vlookup and a dropdown list but i want to know if there
is a way to have the vlookup create a row of info but also allow a dropdown
list be in the middle of it so that you can have different options for
certain columns.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Max Max is offline

"NAS" wrote:
Is there another way of doing something like this with another type of
formula or something all together different.

Welcome back <g
Afraid I'm out of further suggestions for you
Maybe try posting afresh (put in a new post) to garner insights from others