Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
guyvanzyl

Default extracting comma seperated from a single cell and auto populating in selected cells o

I want to assign comma seperated data in one cell to various selected
cells on my worksheet. Is there a formula for this? In cell A1 I have
1,2,3,4. When I paste these values into A1 I want 1 to populated in B1,
2 in B2 and so on

A B
1,2,3,4

John 1
Bob 2
Steve 3
Dave 4

Please help?

--
guyvanzyl
guyvanzyl's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=35927

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
starguy

enter in B1 =MID(A1,1,1)
in B2 =MID(A1,3,1)
in B3 =MID(A1,5,1)
in B4 =MID(A1,7,1)

guyvanzyl Wrote:
I want to assign comma seperated data in one cell to various selected
cells on my worksheet. Is there a formula for this? In cell A1 I have
1,2,3,4. When I paste these values into A1 I want 1 to populated in B1,
2 in B2 and so on

A B
1,2,3,4

John 1
Bob 2
Steve 3
Dave 4

Please help?

--
starguy
starguy's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=32434
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=557265

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
starguy

enter in B1 =MID(A1,1,1)
in B2 =MID(A1,3,1)
in B3 =MID(A1,5,1)
in B4 =MID(A1,7,1)

guyvanzyl Wrote:
I want to assign comma seperated data in one cell to various selected
cells on my worksheet. Is there a formula for this? In cell A1 I have
1,2,3,4. When I paste these values into A1 I want 1 to populated in B1,
2 in B2 and so on

A B
1,2,3,4

John 1
Bob 2
Steve 3
Dave 4

Please help?

--
starguy
starguy's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=32434
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=557265

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
guyvanzyl

Now I know why they call you 'StarGuy'

Thanks a million, much appreciated

--
guyvanzyl
guyvanzyl's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=35927
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=557265

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
CLR

Default extracting comma seperated from a single cell and auto populating

Please stick to a single thread for a single subject. See my response in
your other thread a little earlier today for formulas that will work with the
single digits you have shown in your example, as well as multiple digits
being separated by the commas.

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

"guyvanzyl" wrote:

I want to assign comma seperated data in one cell to various selected
cells on my worksheet. Is there a formula for this? In cell A1 I have
1,2,3,4. When I paste these values into A1 I want 1 to populated in B1,
2 in B2 and so on

A B
1,2,3,4

John 1
Bob 2
Steve 3
Dave 4

Please help?

--
guyvanzyl
guyvanzyl's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=35927
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=557265

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Gord Dibben

One more method......

Select the cell with 1,2,3,4

EditReplace

what: ,

with: ALT + 0010(on numpad)

Replace all.

F2 to edit. Select data in formula bar and Cut.

Select B1 and Paste

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Fri, 30 Jun 2006 06:53:58 -0500, guyvanzyl
wrote:

Now I know why they call you 'StarGuy'

Thanks a million, much appreciated

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Chuck and Gord

Thanks for your input, but I'm still having problems. Let me try once
more. This is probably quite simple and I'm being stupid, but I'm
determined to crack this one. So here goes another explanatory
approach.

I want to be able to copy a csv file into a single cell in an excel
spreadsheet. I then want to apply a formula to a particular cell which
result that cell being automatically populated with the relevant piece
of data from the csv file when I paste it. The formula needs to take
into account that the relevant field in the csv file could be empty or
could have 1+ chars.

The reason I want to do this is that in the future when I run data
extracts, I can check the contents of the csv file by paste into a
spreadsheet I have set up with all the database tables and column names
in it.

I hope this makes sense. Your help is much appreciated.