Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
JimMay

Default Pg 98 - Figure 3-24 Help

I'm working my way through "The Complete Guide to Pivot Tables - A
Visual Approach" by Paul Cornell. I'm getting a great deal out of it up
until
an example is furnished per the above subject location.

I entered the complete table for myself and am getting the same results
shown in the Book, but don't agree/understand the result.

The 4-Mar (Projected) Sum of Reef Clearance shows 0.6, 0.6
I manually, work it and it seems it should be 1.8, 1.8
The original 3-Mar - Low sum of 7.4 - 5.0 = 2.4 the Calculated field.
Then the 2.4 multiplied by the 0.75 (Calculated Item) - s/b 1.8 versus
0.6)

I went to the aprècs.com site and reported this as errata,
But it might be a month (of Sundays) before I hear back from
Them (vbg....)

Thanks to anyone who can help

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Andy Pope

Hi,

3-Mar Sum of Height = 7.4
Sum of Reef Clearance = 2.4 (7.4-5)

4-Mar Sum of Height = 7.4 * 0.75 = 5.55
Sum of Reef Clearance = 0.6 (5.55-5)

The Sum of Reef is not affected by the Calculated item.

Cheers
Andy

--

Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
http://www.andypope.info
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
JimMay

Andy, thanks;;

Didn't see that possible combination of the 5.55-5.0 at the time.. hummm
So the Rule is (and is now obvious (to me)):

A Calculated FIELD IS NOT / CANNOT be affected by a Calculated Item.

Now makes TOTAL sense,
Thanks again,

Jim May

: