Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
amk005

Default How do I figure out a pre-tax amount when I know the final total?

I am trying to figure out a formula to figure out the pre-tax amount. I have
a final total and know the tax percent. How do I use these to figure out the
price before tax is added?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
RichardSchollar

If you have:

A times (1-B) equals C

where A is gross, B is tax rate (say 30%) and C is net (say $70) then
it follows that:

A = C/(1-B)

or A = 70/(1-0.30)

A=100

Does this help you with your problem?

Richard

--
RichardSchollar
RichardSchollar's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=34698

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Bill Kuunders

one way

A1= gross amount
B1 = tax percentage
net amount =
=A1/(100+B1)*100

use general formats
i.e.tax percentage = 12

--
Greetings from New Zealand
Bill K
"amk005" wrote in message
I am trying to figure out a formula to figure out the pre-tax amount. I
have
a final total and know the tax percent. How do I use these to figure out
the
price before tax is added?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Peo Sjoblom

Tax rate in B1 and gross amount in A1

=A1/(1+B1)

Peo Sjoblom

Excel 95 - Excel 2007
Northwest Excel Solutions
www.nwexcelsolutions.com
if you are in one stop digging." Lord Healey

"amk005" wrote in message
I am trying to figure out a formula to figure out the pre-tax amount. I
have
a final total and know the tax percent. How do I use these to figure out
the
price before tax is added?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
amk005

Thank you Richard and Bill! You both posted the same formula, which is
exactly what I needed! Thanks again.