Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
lydiaw1

Default Randomly sorting the alphabet

I have tried the suggestions on random sorting and it's just not working.
Each time I type in =RAND() in the 'helper' column, that's all I get,
repeated in each cell. When I sort, nothing happens!! Please help, I'm
trying to complete a calendar that has the letters of the alphabet sorted
randomly on it for bus transfers.
thanks ever so much
--
Lydia Wehrli
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Peo Sjoblom

Format the column as general, then apply the formula and copy it down

Peo Sjoblom

Excel 95 - Excel 2007
Northwest Excel Solutions
www.nwexcelsolutions.com
if you are in one stop digging." Lord Healey

"lydiaw1" wrote in message
I have tried the suggestions on random sorting and it's just not working.
Each time I type in =RAND() in the 'helper' column, that's all I get,
repeated in each cell. When I sort, nothing happens!! Please help, I'm
trying to complete a calendar that has the letters of the alphabet sorted
randomly on it for bus transfers.
thanks ever so much
--
Lydia Wehrli

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
lydiaw1

It was already formatted as general, when I click on formula and select RAND,
I get an error message that says the formula is 'volatile' and then the cell
that had the formula in it shows a number in it and the letter I typed there
goes away. I'm just not technical enough to figure out how to do this. I
just need someone who can take me step by step....a couple of years ago
someone had spelled this out clearly and I can't find that persons response
anymore.
Thanks anyways
--
Lydia Wehrli