Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Russ

Default Trying to generate a solution

Hi. I have four columns, A, B, C, and D. The fifth column is E and is the
sum total of A+B+C+D. I would like to set the total to equal 100 and find
all of the combinations of A, B, C, and D that would add up to equal 100.
(A, B, C, and D are all positive whole numbers.) I think this is a
permutation, because order matters. Is it possible to get Excel to do this?
Also, is it possible to set it up so that each number in A, B, C, and D is a
positive number that increases in intervals of 5, as this would cut down the
number of solutions?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave O

Do the columns encompass a number of rows, and you need to find the
elements within all those columns / all those rows that adds to 100?

Or does each row have just 4 elements, A, B, C, D, that adds up to a
number in column E greater than 100, and you need to find which of
those 4 elements add to exactly 100?

And how does increasing in intervals of 5 reduce the solution space?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dominic LeVasseur

Russ,

There was a posting regarding this awhile back:

http://www.microsoft.com/office/comm...xp=&sloc=en-us

There are a few solutions suggested. I have used the Harlan Grove code
posted by Toppers near the end of the thread, and it has worked for me.

If the link above does not work, you should be able to find it by searching
the group for "findsums"

Hope that helps.