Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
rantz

Default How to make a cell value generate a cell value in another cell

Hello,

I need to make a cell value generate a cell value in another cell.

Example.

If cell A1 contains "Apple" I want B1 to have the value
"fruit". If I write beatles in A1 I want B1 to spell out
"music"

I have a list of two columns
Apple fruit
Strawberry berries
Saw hardware
Beatles music
..
..

My original solution to this problem was to use the if-function in B2
like this

=IF(A1="Apple", "fruit", IF(A1="Strawberry", "berries"
IF(A1="Saw", "hardware",....))))

This may not be very elegant but it worked until I had a list that was
longer then 7. Apparently Excel can't handle more then 7
if-functions.

There should be an easier way to accomplish this. I could probably
write the If-functions directly into the macro that I'm building but
I would appreciate a easier solution. Perhaps something containing the
VLOOKUP-function?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
daddylonglegs

VLOOKUP, as you say, is probably best

If your table is C1:D10 then use this formula in B1

=VLOOKUP(A1,$C$1:$D$10,2,0)

--
daddylonglegs
daddylonglegs's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=30486

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
rantz

You saved me a ton of work, thanks a LOT!!!!