Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Scorpvin

Default Vlookup or Index/Match

I have 6 tabs in my worksheet. 5 of the tabs represent 5 business days
(M-F). Each row in the tabs are unique records. Meaning they only
appear once within the 5 tabs. The sixth tab is an all inclusive list
of all the records in tabs 1 - 5. I need a column on this tab for each
record stating which tab (1 -5) is this record located on. I'm not sure
how to attack this problem. Help!

--
Scorpvin
Scorpvin's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=27678

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave O

With the data in the one-tab-for-each-day format, the only solution I
can think of is a nested IF loop that looks for a solution in the
Monday tab, and if it's not there look in the Tuesday tab, and then
look in the Wednesday tab, etc.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Ken Hudson

Hi,
VB is probably the best solution. However, one non-VB solution would be to
insert a new column in each tab. Fill each column with a "1" for tab 1, a "2"
for tab 2.....
On tab 5 insert some nested IF statements with VLOOKUP.
=IF(NOT ISERROR(VLOOKUP(look in tab 1),VLOOKUP(look in tab 1),IF(NOT
ISERROR(VLOOKUP(look in tab2).............. The VLOOKUP's would return the
tab number from the column when it finds the unqiue record.
Sounds clunky, but I think it would work.
--
Ken Hudson