-   -   Vlookup or Index/Match (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/88874-vlookup-index-match.html)

Scorpvin

Vlookup or Index/Match

I have 6 tabs in my worksheet. 5 of the tabs represent 5 business days
(M-F). Each row in the tabs are unique records. Meaning they only
appear once within the 5 tabs. The sixth tab is an all inclusive list
of all the records in tabs 1 - 5. I need a column on this tab for each
record stating which tab (1 -5) is this record located on. I'm not sure
how to attack this problem. Help!

--
Scorpvin
Scorpvin's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=27678

Dave O

Vlookup or Index/Match

With the data in the one-tab-for-each-day format, the only solution I
can think of is a nested IF loop that looks for a solution in the
Monday tab, and if it's not there look in the Tuesday tab, and then
look in the Wednesday tab, etc.

Ken Hudson

Vlookup or Index/Match

Hi,
VB is probably the best solution. However, one non-VB solution would be to
insert a new column in each tab. Fill each column with a "1" for tab 1, a "2"
for tab 2.....
On tab 5 insert some nested IF statements with VLOOKUP.
=IF(NOT ISERROR(VLOOKUP(look in tab 1),VLOOKUP(look in tab 1),IF(NOT
ISERROR(VLOOKUP(look in tab2).............. The VLOOKUP's would return the
tab number from the column when it finds the unqiue record.
Sounds clunky, but I think it would work.
--
Ken Hudson