Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
srinehart

Default Formatting cells

I am creating a spreadsheet for work, I would like to be able to send it to
vendors so they can fill in information about the product we will be selling.
I would like to "lock" the questions so the vendors cannot change them. I
would also like to indicate to them what fields they are able to add
information into. I have seen forms where you can fill the information in on
your computer, the lines that have been "highlighted" with grey are the
fields you know you can enter information in. How do I do that?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Kevin B

I you're using Excel 2003 you can unlock the cells you want your vendors to
fill in. Select the cells you want the vendor to enter data into, click
FORMAT in the menu and select CELLS. Click the PROTECTION tab and uncheck
the LOCKED check box.

Then click TOOLS, select PROTECTION and click PROTECT. In the ALLOW ALL
USERS OF THIS WORKSHEET TO: check box list, remove the check from the SELECT
LOCKED CELLS checkbox, add your password, click OK, confirm the password and
click OK and you're done.

Your vendors will now only have access to the cells that you've unprotected.

--
Kevin Backmann