Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
itty

Default Edit Built in Footer

Hai all,
Any got any word about how can we edit or add "built in" footer and
header(dropdown list in header/footer tab from the page setup menu) in
Excel. So that any time we create a new file these newer footers are
availiable.
Thanks a lot
Itty

--
itty
itty's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=1259

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Jan Karel Pieterse

Hi Itty,

Any got any word about how can we edit or add "built in" footer and
header(dropdown list in header/footer tab from the page setup menu) in
Excel. So that any time we create a new file these newer footers are
availiable.

We'll build a custom template that will be used for all your new
workbooks:

- Create an empty workbook with all sheets you want
- Select all these sheets (shift-click their tabs)
- select that particular footer and edit it so it looks the way you like
- Change other printing options while you're at it.
- rightclick a sheet tab and select ungroup

Now it is time to save this file as the default template for Excel:

- Select File, Save-as.
- In the bottom dropdown, choose filetype "Template (*.xlt)"
- Now Excel has changed the folder. Make sure you select this folder to
save the file into:
c:\documents and settings\USERNAME\Application
Data\Microsoft\Excel\Xlstart\
- Name the file Book.xlt

You can also ensure any NEW worksheets are getting this header/footer:

- remove all sheets but one
- repeat the save process above, but name the file Sheet.xlt.

Regards,

Jan Karel Pieterse
Excel MVP
http://www.jkp-ads.com

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Gord Dibben

Itty

One thing to note about BOOK.XLT............................

The Blank workbook that opens using File New...(note ellipsis)Blank Workbook
is not the BOOK.XLT you stored in the XLSTART folder.

Use the other FileNew command(the one without the ellipsis...) or the New
File button on the Toolbar. Either of those will give you your default
BOOK.XLT directly from your XLSTART folder.

If not on your File Menu, go to ToolsCustomizeCommandsFile and drag the
"New" command to the File Menu.

Check out the descriptions of the two "New" commands while you're there. You
will see the difference between the two.

Also check out this search thread

http://snipurl.com/pxsw

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

Hi Itty,