Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Need to figure out a percentage

I need an equation to figure out: We budget $0 (or breakeven) and
actually make / or lose say $1000. I can't figure out how to get a
percentage for this, whether it's positive or minus.

Could anyone help?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
David Biddulph

wrote in message
ups.com...
I need an equation to figure out: We budget $0 (or breakeven) and
actually make / or lose say $1000. I can't figure out how to get a
percentage for this, whether it's positive or minus.

Could anyone help?

Try
=(Sale Price / Cost Price) - 1
and format as percentage
--
David Biddulph

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave O

David beat me to this response, but I will offer a minor change: where
your budget is zero, enter the figure .000000001 and format it as
currency. This is effectively a zero value, but it is still a non-zero
number. A zero entry will cause a #DIV/0 error.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Gary''s Student

The reason you are having problems is that you are zero-based. There is an
easy fix. Let's say you estimate expenses (including profit) of $50,000 and
income of $50,000. Your estimated net is $0.00, but you actually have income
of $51,000.

Your percentage should be 1000/50000 or 2%
--
Gary's Student