Mighty Magpie

Default Percentage difference calc that knows the largest figure

I have a calculation in cell A3 which looks at the content of Cell A1 and
Cell A2 and then works out the difference between both as a percentage

For instance

Cell A1 = 100

Cell A2 = 10

Cell A3 returns the difference as being 90%

My simple calculation in Cell A3 is as follows =(A1-A2)/A1

Cell A3 is formatted to give the answer as a percentage to 2 decimal places

The above works fine as long as the number in Cell A1 is greater than the
number in Cell A2

If the number in A2 is greater than the number in A1 then my calculated
answer is incorrect

For instance

Cell A1 = 10

Cell A2 = 100

Cell A3 returns the difference as being -900%

Can someone please tell me of a way in which I can input one formula in cell
A3 that will look at both A1 and A2 then recognise which is the greater
number and give me resultant percentage difference?

Is it possible?

TIA

goober

=IF(A1A2,(A1-A2)/A1,(A2-A1)/A2)

This should help you.

Good Luck.

--
goober
goober's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=19838

Mighty Magpie

Thanks for the info and prompt response - I am grateful

"goober" wrote in
message ...

=IF(A1A2,(A1-A2)/A1,(A2-A1)/A2)

This should help you.